• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd director and staff - life insurance.Is this a tax relief?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd director and staff - life insurance.Is this a tax relief?

Hi
    I am curious - if I make an life insurance of a company's director is this going to be a company's expense for the company. I.e. is this going to be a way to reduce your co's profit?

Hi,

Yes it is. You'll need to have consideration as to how the policy is structured. There's potential that it's paid by the company, classed as an expense and also free from any benefit in kind issues. You financial advisor should be able to give you more details.

Comment

If you want a policy which is fully allowable then it needs to be a 'relevant life policy' - if this meets the criteria of being for the purpose of trade then it will be deductible for CT and will not be seen as a benefit in kind.

Other types of life cover may be classed as a benefit in kind or may not be deductible for corporation tax.

Hope this helps!
      Craig

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
        Hi
        I am curious - if I make an life insurance of a company's director is this going to be a company's expense for the company. I.e. is this going to be a way to reduce your co's profit?
        You are not just curious, you appear to be dyslexic as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are not just curious, you appear to be dyslexic as well.
          thanks for your useless input - on your bike now...

@useful_input:
          what is 'relevant life policy'? I'd think it is all in the policy wording, but one rarely have control on that.

Comment

A relevant life policy is a type of life insurance policy which in the event of a claim pays out to the beneficiaries through a trust - you will be able to see if it is a relevant life policy as it will be in the policy wording, or even the name of the policy.

Aside from the tax benefit when paying into this type of policy, any claim made on the policy will not be chargeable to inheritance tax.

Hope this helps!
            Craig

Comment

As others have said, best to speak to an IFA in the first instance.

A Relevant Life policy is probably what you are looking at, the idea is that it is not BIK and the LtdCo can pay the premiums.......and any payout will be made according to Trust setup on inception.

Anyway, I am not an IFA so you really would need to speak to one - but I do have a Relevant Life policy, funded MyCo (wife's idea orginally, and she is the primary Trustee......hmmmmmm!)
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                thanks for your useless input - on your bike now...
                If you are going to ask free advice it is only common courtesy to make sure you make a bit sense.

Anyway,

Lots of chats about relevant life policies here.. I looked in to it but not being married I was told it wasn't worth doing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I looked in to it but not being married I was told it wasn't worth doing.
                  I had always assumed that you were married to Northernladyuk...

Comment

not being married I was told it wasn't worth doing.
                    If you have a family, or think that you might want to have one at some stage, then it's worth considering before you get too old and it gets too expensive.

I tried to consolidate my three policies into one recently, and I was looking at doubling the premiums to get the same cover because my health situation has changed.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X