• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breakfast at your desk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast at your desk

Is it an acceptable thing in the UK workplace?

I have a colleague who said he vexed his line manager because he would have his breakfast at his desk every morning at 9 am so one day this manager took his whisket.

This doesn't sound like a fairly way to treat a staff. Can somebody cooperate if this is normal please.

Note: in the banks where I have been employed it is normal to bring breakfast in Tiffin tins and eat stood in the panty.
    Last edited by Mister Murphy; 19 July 2013, 19:19.

Originally posted by Mister Murphy View Post
    whisket.
    Who with the what now?

Eating breakfast at your desk is somewhat down to the organisation you're working at.

Some will think it's ok - other won't.

I regularly have a nice porky sausage roll straight from the hot plate around 8am.

Comment

Depends. If he's been in for an hour or so already it's probably fine. If he comes in at 9:00 and immediately has breakfast when he should be starting work, probably not. Would you be happy to pay someone to sit at their desk and eat when they should be working?

Depends on the company.

I work early/late two days a week to make up for late start/early finish on other days. I generally get to my desk about 7:30 and nip down to the canteen to grab breakfast to eat at my desk at around 8:30. Still work while I eat though.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't mind people eating at their desk as long as they don't leave the remains in the dustbin. We had a contractor that had fried breakfast brought in from the pub every Friday, he would leave the waste in the office dustbin instead of the Kitchen. That really wound me up!

Comment

Depends on what his breakfast is. Guy who sits behind me at client co has a regular routine of bacon and sausage sarnie augmented with a couple of hash browns. It smells absolutely delicious. And for that reason alone, he's a twunt of the highest order. The other guy who eats a bowl of muesli ... no problem with that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Murphy View Post
            Is it an acceptable thing in the UK workplace?

I have a colleague who said he vexed his line manager because he would have his breakfast at his desk every morning at 9 am so one day this manager took his whisket.

This doesn't sound like a fairly way to treat a staff. Can somebody cooperate if this is normal please.

Note: in the banks where I have been employed it is normal to bring breakfast in Tiffin tins and eat stood in the panty.
            I'd use the Bing translator if I were you, the one you're using now has broken.

I SAID THE TRANSLATOR YOU ARE USING NOW HAS BROKEN.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

His Translator microbes are broken...

Comment

I've often picked up a bacon / sausage sarnie etc on my in (either local garage / burger van or clientCo canteen) and then eat as i'm logging the PC on and getting started. So eating as I work. Not had a comment so far.
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

It isn't but it doesn't stop hordes of bobs doing it. I mean they live locally enough to use the client provided bus so why do they then spend 30 mins eating breakfast. Saying that they don't even eat at their desk, they use the kitchen or communal areas. Completely unacceptable IMO.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In a bank unless you have breakfast and lunch at your desk you are a wimp.

Comment

Working...
                    X