• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't claim JSA because I haven't paid Class 1 NI!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't claim JSA because I haven't paid Class 1 NI!!!

Defies believe. I only claimed JSA for about a week. Of course, wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it would be this short.

Had a letter back now and, apparently, based on tax years ending 2011 and 2012, I haven't paid enough class 1 NI.

How on earth they work that out I'll never know. I was a permie until May 2012. So 2011 earned about 40K though PAYE. In fact, even in 2012 with redundancy payout I earned about £15K.

Nuts....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Defies believe. I only claimed JSA for about a week. Of course, wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it would be this short.

Had a letter back now and, apparently, based on tax years ending 2011 and 2012, I haven't paid enough class 1 NI.

How on earth they work that out I'll never know. I was a permie until May 2012. So 2011 earned about 40K though PAYE. In fact, even in 2012 with redundancy payout I earned about £15K.

Nuts....
    I would write back and ask what that's based on - I know it sounds unbelievable but HMRC do, very occasionally, make a little faux pas
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      I would write back and ask what that's based on - I know it sounds unbelievable but HMRC do, very occasionally, make a little faux pas
      LOL. I'm guessing its the JSA people not HMRC but I guess we'll see!

It is based on yearly total isn't it? Rather than number of weeks/months actually paying?
      Last edited by psychocandy; 22 July 2013, 09:03.

Comment

I got confused when I read my letter but upon re-reading it the statement was that after 6 months I could not claim, omitting to tell me if I still need to claim anything then it would have to be Income based JSA.

If you have less than a few thousand in assets and you really are not eligible for contributions based JSA now then you should be able to claim income based JSA now.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          From reading various forums on people having trouble with contributions based JSA it does seem that the NI computer sometimes "forgets" to notify the other gov computers of the correct Class 1 contributions record. I forget what search terms I used in google to find this info but as I said in my post just now I was searching when I got confused after my letter too as I could not understand why there was a 6 month time limit on it (now I know those are the rules).
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Although just checking the rules. You've got to have been credited with enough in both of the last two years.

2011 - no problem - permie.
            2012 - permie for 6 weeks then took redundancy.
            All depends if redundancy payment is NI-able I guess. Otherwise, if its just salary then it could well have been under the threshold for 2012 of £5100. Rest of the year I took no salary (on accountants advice).

Be a bit of a bummer if it appears I could have taken 'some' salary that year.

1. Would have saved a bit of tax.
            2. Would now be eligible for JSA.

Best speak to my accountant....

Comment

So, having thought I wasn't entitled to contribution based JSA (resigned from my previous job) and thought I was applying for income based, this morning I received a letter saying I've been accepted for contribution based JSA and in fact they've already paid me for 3 weeks' worth. This is despite the fact I hadn't bothered to return the form that asked lots of painful questions about company accounts and demanded all my bank statements, all to decide whether I had too many savings or not.

Accepted a permie offer on Friday, so I was out anyway. I'd assumed I'd get nothing at all, but now I have an extra 200-odd quid. Thanks tax payers.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Your welcome - now make sure you keep that job long enough to pay 10x back.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well, spoke to NI people at HMRC and it seemed I have paid NI. Then spoke to JSA people and it appears (like someone said) that the records weren't totally correct.

Upshot is they're now agreed to pay me the £60. Great, eh?

To be honest, was more concerned if I ever wanted to claim for a bit longer. If I'd known it would be only for a week wouldnt have bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Well, spoke to NI people at HMRC and it seemed I have paid NI. Then spoke to JSA people and it appears (like someone said) that the records weren't totally correct.

Upshot is they're now agreed to pay me the £60. Great, eh?

To be honest, was more concerned if I ever wanted to claim for a bit longer. If I'd known it would be only for a week wouldnt have bothered.
                    So did you ever get to the bottom of their wish to understand company accounts?

Comment

Working...
                    X