• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£600 for fecking tyres!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£600 for fecking tyres!

I know, I know, if I was a real contractor that wouldnt put one tyre on my Lambo or Ferrari but even so. £600 quid for 4 tyres. Arse.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

The key is to shop around, tyre prices can vary by 100% for the same make.
    Also buy them in a city, they will be cheaper as all the big boys rig their prices to the amount of competition.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Why do you have a car? That's sooooo 20th Century.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        I know, I know, if I was a real contractor that wouldnt put one tyre on my Lambo or Ferrari but even so. £600 quid for 4 tyres. Arse.
        This recent article from the Telegraph might explain why tyre prices are on the up....

Millions of motorists preparing to head off on their summer holidays are facing the prospect of petrol breaking through the £1-a-litre barrier and the cost of tyres soaring.

Families with cars, who are already paying on average £20 a month more on fuel than at the start of the year, are to be hit even harder thanks to the turmoil in the Middle East and rising demand in developing countries.

Experts say it is not so much 'if but when' petrol will hit £1 a litre

If that is not bad enough, a doubling in demand for rubber means that tyres are also expected to increase in price by 30 per cent over the same period. That means it will cost an average £50 more a set.

A report by the motoring magazine Auto Express said that the cost of rubber has nearly doubled in the past 12 months because of a poor harvest in Asia and an increase in the cost of oil-derived chemicals used in the production process.

Richard Edy, the director of the National Tyre Distributors Association, confirmed that "significant" price rises were on the way. He said: "There have been big increases in the price of raw materials because of shortages in some parts of the world.

motoring.telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          You can get remoulds for £30 that fit a Trabant.

HTH

Comment

That's rather expensive for remoulds
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              Why do you have a car? That's sooooo 20th Century.
              Aye SG !

Thank goodness I dont have one either !

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                That's rather expensive for remoulds
                Well, being a contractor, only the best remoulds will do.

Comment

Tyres have never been particularly cheap and now that price of oil is on the up they get more expensive.

Comment

Apparently the wunderkind in Brussels have come up with a bright idea:

Take the carbon black out of tyres coz it is alleged to be carcinogenic.

Result: instead of lasting 6 or 7 years, they'll now last about 2... and this is supposed to reduce the 100 million tyres a year that end up in landfill...

Comment

Working...
                    X