• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling apps or paas or saas etc Is it a viable business model for anyone here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling apps or paas or saas etc Is it a viable business model for anyone here?

I long to develop a product that I could sell, maintain, improve and sell some more, be it an app, a website or a platform.
    I'm sure I would enjoy so much more to 'own' a product and develop it for myself than for a client.
    But every single time I run the numbers, it doesn't appear to be competitive with consultancy on a daily rate.
    Not only is reward pushed back in time but also minuscule compared to what I would get consulting/contracting in the meantime.
    Does anyone here find this business model to be competitive with their daily rates in terms of income?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I long to develop a product that I could sell, maintain, improve and sell some more, be it an app, a website or a platform.
    I'm sure I would enjoy so much more to 'own' a product and develop it for myself than for a client.
    But every single time I run the numbers, it doesn't appear to be competitive with consultancy on a daily rate.
    Not only is reward pushed back in time but also minuscule compared to what I would get consulting/contracting in the meantime.
    Does anyone here find this business model to be competitive with their daily rates in terms of income?
    I'd love to do that too, and that business model as you call it can work wonderfully well.

You need an idea though.

And it has to be either:
    • original, and people want it
    • a new take on an existing thing, and people want it
    • an existing thing with a large enough market for your version

Either way, you'll need hard work, and a dose of good luck for it to make it beat the contracting rates.

Not everyone can be Zuckerberg or the Tumblr guy though.

Just because you know how to build stuff doesn't mean you are the right guy to have an idea, start a business, and start selling a product.

Good luck though!
    Last edited by jmo21; 23 July 2013, 15:45.

Comment

I've developed a product that I sell, maintain and improve.

It is a long, hard slog.

Currently it makes in the region of £5k - 10k PPM.

However it has taken several years to get here.

If you think purely like a contractor then you would never take the risk to build your own product.

However if you do it can scale well beyond what you can earn as an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        I've developed a product that I sell, maintain and improve.

It is a long, hard slog.

Currently it makes in the region of £5k - 10k PPM.

However it has taken several years to get here.

If you think purely like a contractor then you would never take the risk to build your own product.

However if you do it can scale well beyond what you can earn as an individual.
        PPM? if you actually mean PM, per month, that ain't too shabby!

Comment

Yes per month. Not it's not bad.

First year was 5k ... for the entire year.

Of course I had to build a product, website, marketing material, answer support mails to get that.

As I say, it's a slog. A lot of sacrificed evenings, weekends, holidays.

Certainly not to be undertaken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Yes per month. Not it's not bad.

First year was 5k ... for the entire year.

Of course I had to build a product, website, marketing material, answer support mails to get that.

As I say, it's a slog. A lot of sacrificed evenings, weekends, holidays.

Certainly not to be undertaken lightly.
            That's not fair - I wanna do all that but I can't be arsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              That's not fair - I wanna do all that but I can't be arsed.

Nor can I - maybe we should team up and not do anything in a more dynamic way?

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                Nor can I - maybe we should team up and not do anything in a more dynamic way?
                Well I just bought three IBM bladecenters with 42 blades, inc POWER ones, looking for hosting options / fame servers - dedis - aix lpar blades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I started a website 15 months ago to try to earn from affiliated marketing, Google Adsense etc. That has made me pennies even though I have found a very niche market.
                  However, not to give up I have now opened an eBay store with links from the website.
                  Next step is to fully integrate website into ecommerce.

As I say, this is 15 months old & is now bringing in a couple of hundred quid a month. I'm still contracting full time & do this in the evenings whilst stuck in a hotel. I started this off as a four year plan so have just under three years to go & I'm determined to make it work. The hardest part is all the work you have to put in without ever knowing if it's really going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    I'd love to do that too, and that business model as you call it can work wonderfully well.

You need an idea though.

And it has to be either:
                    • original, and people want it
                    • a new take on an existing thing, and people want it
                    • an existing thing with a large enough market for your version

Either way, you'll need hard work, and a dose of good luck for it to make it beat the contracting rates.

Not everyone can be Zuckerberg or the Tumblr guy though.

Just because you know how to build stuff doesn't mean you are the right guy to have an idea, start a business, and start selling a product.

Good luck though!
                    I've got one project off the ground and am just pondering a second. I've never written a line of code in my lif,e and in the first project, I have a partner who is a coder and understands the business very well.

For the second, which is extremely niche and I have in depth business expertise and links to the only feasible client in U, I need to think about how best to get it off the ground - it's not functionally rich at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X