• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let's get one thing straight...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's get one thing straight...

Doing I.T. isn't the same as it used to be. It's all changed to the point that it's mind numbingly boring. I used to be responsible for everything, printers, desktops, servers, hubs and routers etc, now I just get given one thing to look after (servers) and the rest go to these other departments ! it's the same on whatever contract I do !!! help me !! i'm going insane !! I need to get out of IT and do something constructive with my life !!

Originally posted by Andyw
    Doing I.T. isn't the same as it used to be. It's all changed to the point that it's mind numbingly boring. I used to be responsible for everything, printers, desktops, servers, hubs and routers etc, now I just get given one thing to look after (servers) and the rest go to these other departments ! it's the same on whatever contract I do !!! help me !! i'm going insane !! I need to get out of IT and do something constructive with my life !!
    You want to do everything then go work for a smaller company. Jack of all trades works in that environment, but I've met very few people (Maybe a couple) who can truly excel enough to do it all at the level required in a large firm. To be honest even in my area (Networking/security) there are very few people who can cover the majority of technologies possible.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
      To be honest even in my area (Networking/security) there are very few people who can cover the majority of technologies possible.
      Latency...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Latency...
        You still confused?

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Ahem

Originally posted by AtW
          Latency...
          9 points
          Why not?

Comment

You want to do everything then go work for a smaller company. Jack of all trades works in that environment, but I've met very few people (Maybe a couple) who can truly excel enough to do it all at the level required in a large firm. To be honest even in my area (Networking/security) there are very few people who can cover the majority of technologies possible.

rubbish ! it worked fine in the olden days !!! It's just red tape sh1t that means you have to have a politically correct dept ! and make sure everyone has set job roles etc ! usually for things like IR35 and the threat of being sued etc !

Comment

Depends if you push buttons on boxes or do something at a bit higher level...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                rubbish ! it worked fine in the olden days !!! It's just red tape sh1t that means you have to have a politically correct dept ! and make sure everyone has set job roles etc ! usually for things like IR35 and the threat of being sued etc !
                Yeah, I remember the old day's - fecking amateur by any standard. Guess it all depends how skilled and or complex your environment is/needs to be. But in a large/complex networking environment say then the level of skill needed and volume of work churned through precludes anyone from doing it all. Then again I always thought servers were a bit easy, so maybe it is as dull as you think but there's more than enough sh!t to cover in networking (Without adding security) to keep anyone with an interest, intersted.

Comment

If you do boring low level stuff, then by definition it will be boring.
                  Next ....
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah, I remember the old day's - fecking amateur by any standard. Guess it all depends how skilled and or complex your environment is/needs to be. But in a large/complex networking environment say then the level of skill needed and volume of work churned through precludes anyone from doing it all. Then again I always thought servers were a bit easy, so maybe it is as dull as you think but there's more than enough sh!t to cover in networking (Without adding security) to keep anyone with an interest, intersted.

Ooooh networking this networking that I love networking

Personally it's all the same sh1t and it sucks, it's boring, and it's for plodders !

Comment

Working...
                    X