• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I bill for days I was told not to attend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I bill for days I was told not to attend?

I recently started my first contract, starting on a Thursday. By lunchtime it was clear that due to IT issues on the client side I was not going to be able to get any meaningful work underway, so the client told me there was no point coming in the next day, and should instead come back on the Monday.

Since the three month contract commenced on the Thursday, should I bill for the Friday I was told not to attend, since the issues were their fault and not mine?

Originally posted by ManAlive View Post
    I recently started my first contract, starting on a Thursday. By lunchtime it was clear that due to IT issues on the client side I was not going to be able to get any meaningful work underway, so the client told me there was no point coming in the next day, and should instead come back on the Monday.

Since the three month contract commenced on the Thursday, should I bill for the Friday I was told not to attend, since the issues were their fault and not mine?
    To be honest no, if its just one day it kinda works in your favor from a MOO point of view if you are ever investigated for IR35 so just take the hit and enjoy the long weekend
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You get paid for the work that you do. You did no work, so you get no pay.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Simple, no.

Comment

I would, and have billed in this situation. Its not my problem, its called lost opportunity. With no notice they decided that they didn't need you for a day and don't want to pay. Yet at the same time they expect you to honor the full term of their three month contract?

I had a agent send me a contract to start on a Monday, I signed it and returned it. Client decided they didn't want to work the Monday so the agent rings me up and tries to get me to sign a new contract starting on the Tuesday. Didn't sign it. Billed for the Monday and I was paid.
          Do as you see fit; many people do many things. As a contractor, you should expect to be paid for work done, not opportunity lost.

Comment

I would, and have billed in this situation. Its not my problem, its called lost opportunity. With no notice they decided that they didn't need you for a day and don't want to pay. Yet at the same time they expect you to honor the full term of their three month contract?

I had a agent send me a contract to start on a Monday, I signed it and returned it. Client decided they didn't want to work the Monday so the agent rings me up and tries to get me to sign a new contract starting on the Tuesday. Didn't sign it. Billed for the Monday and I was paid.
            Lucky you. Getting paid to do nothing is what happens with permies though, and is a strong pointer to being inside IR35.

If I had a contractor working for me who billed for not doing any work, they wouldn't get it paid, and they wouldn't be doing any more work either.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In answer to thread title.....

No

Do some work, invoice; don't do any, don't invoice - the reality is that this is how it should be; now, I agree that this is often not ideal, but that is par for the course in our chosen line of work. As for Loss of Opportunity or similar, a whole different ball game IMHO

(count the cliches in that lot )
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Agent? ... just guessing...

Ok let me clarify. I had two other clients on the go at that time, as a business I could have arranged to go and see them and make some money, but of course I had no notice from joebob my agent. As for pointers in or outside of IR35 the fact that they in turn furloughed (with appropriate notice) contractors over Christmas probably covered that no problem.

If you book a builder or any other trade in for work, then wave them off when they arrive not only will you get charged, they most likely won't come back.

I'm sorry am I missing something here?
                So why not bill one of your other contracts for not working? Exactly the same logic applies...

And if they directed you to take Christmas off, then that isn't an IR35 defence.

Heigh ho, back to the drawing board...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  So why not bill one of your other contracts for not working? Exactly the same logic applies...

And if they directed you to take Christmas off, then that isn't an IR35 defence.

Heigh ho, back to the drawing board...
                  I don't think that logic applies. His other clients didn't line him up to work and then cancel at the last minute. QED

I definitely wouldn't have invoiced however. When u start making issues over one days pay, the client is going to see you as a money grabber. In my opinion they will therefore be less likely to sign off on a big chunky rate rise, or an extension.

For example it's my last day at client co I have invited the whole department to lunch-i expect to pay for circa 20 people. Whilst being a high roller allows me to do this without batting an eye, I can understand others might not take the same view.
                  "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Agent? ... just guessing...

Ok let me clarify. I had two other clients on the go at that time, as a business I could have arranged to go and see them and make some money, but of course I had no notice from joebob my agent. As for pointers in or outside of IR35 the fact that they in turn furloughed (with appropriate notice) contractors over Christmas probably covered that no problem.

If you book a builder or any other trade in for work, then wave them off when they arrive not only will you get charged, they most likely won't come back.

I'm sorry am I missing something here?

Yep it's called business good will.

There are certain things you do as a human being especially at the beginning of a contract to get people to view you in a more favorable light. This is stuff extensions are built on.

Oh and the builder isn't a good comparison as I would never pay a builder a day rate for obvious reasons.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X