• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandatory Security "eLearning"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory Security "eLearning"

Canvassing opinion here from IR35 perspective.

End client insists on mandatory annual security training for contractors which is delivered as an eLearning module used by the permies for all of their other training needs.

Is this acceptable or should I take exception to the medium and the fact that it is labelled as training and not a briefing?

At face value I am not comfortable but I may be being over sensitive on the language.

I am also unsure if the mere request rather to undertake the training is a breach of working practises.

Thanks

It's a requirement to fulfil the role that you complete the reminder of the security policies.

The fact that they call it training is irrelevant - you need to do it to do the role, so whether you were an employee or a contractor you'd need to do it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      It's a requirement to fulfil the role that you complete the reminder of the security policies.

The fact that they call it training is irrelevant - you need to do it to do the role, so whether you were an employee or a contractor you'd need to do it.
      WHS

Plus...there may be others to come.

And if you refuse then I would guess you will be leaving........

Comment

Do they have an e-learning module on common sense at all?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Do they have an e-learning module on common sense at all?
          Unfortunately these type of posters can't use search otherwise they would find out Health & Safety, Security and anti-discrimination policies have to be followed by all workers and visitors on the client's site.

Then again it would probably be easier just to slam a door in their face on the client's site to ensure they understand the message.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Unfortunately these type of posters can't use search otherwise they would find out Health & Safety, Security and anti-discrimination policies have to be followed by all workers and visitors on the client's site.

Then again it would probably be easier just to slam a door in their face on the client's site to ensure they understand the message.
            Indeed but this one goes even beyond that... I mean, the title is 'security training for contractors' and a contractor asks if they shouldn't take it for IR35 reasons? Give me strength....

The OP is certainly not cut out.....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indeed but this one goes even beyond that... I mean, the title is 'security training for contractors' and a contractor asks if they shouldn't take it for IR35 reasons? Give me strength....

Yep

If the module takes 30 mins to do it's 30 mins of billable time which the client pays for..........

I love my security and Health & Safety briefings.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Is that you, northernladuk?
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Indeed but this one goes even beyond that... I mean, the title is 'security trainingfor contractors' and a contractor asks if they shouldn't take it for IR35 reasons? Give me strength....

Is that you, SueEllen?
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                  X