• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Youview vs Freesat vs Freeview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youview vs Freesat vs Freeview

No cable available at the new place, so looking at options. We don't watch much TV, mainly the freeview channels, but if possible I'd like to be able to add something decent for short periods (eg. the cricket for the summer).

Aerial and satellite options available, but Sky is not an option.

Seriously considering taking the Talk Talk version of Youview which looks pretty good but has had varied reviews. Anyone got any experience of them?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Who is your phone/broadband with? There is the BT Vision option as well. TBH we never used it in anger much past recording programs on the box and bought a few of the videos on demand awhile ago. Dunno about purchasing the sport channels. May be a red herring but worth looking at to see if it has any advantages for you.

Since getting a NAS we rarely watch any 'live' TV at all but not really sport fans.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Who is your phone/broadband with?
      No-one yet There is no cable available in the area, though, so will be cutting from Virgin's 120mbps service to something like 12 instead
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The cricket is only on Sky, but you might consider NowTV and finding cheap day-passes on eBay (£2.50-4 instead of £9.99. Has been pretty good in my usage.

Freesat is very good IMO but you don't get any amazing channels and you can't pay for add-ons. If you have FreeView available I'm not sure why you'd choose FreeSat assuming you don't already have the kit... both are comparable.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The cricket is only on Sky, but you might consider NowTV and finding cheap day-passes on eBay (£2.50-4 instead of £9.99. Has been pretty good in my usage.

Freesat is very good IMO but you don't get any amazing channels and you can't pay for add-ons. If you have FreeView available I'm not sure why you'd choose FreeSat assuming you don't already have the kit... both are comparable.
          I can get Sky Sports added to YouView vie Talk Talk, if I went that route.

Now TV might be a way forward instead, and buy a now TV box for £10 - I can't see anything on ebay today for passes.

TV has a freeview box inside it (never used it as we have cable and no TV aerial), the house will have a satellite dish already installed, but I have no freeview or freesat box, so would need a decoder anyway. Currently have a Tivo so I want something which can record and pause live TV.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I would buy a Freesat box from Humax Direct.

I bought a PVR from them some years ago and won't hesitate to buy from them when this one eventually gives up the ghost.

- HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I can get Sky Sports added to YouView vie Talk Talk, if I went that route.
              You can? Got a link?

Now TV might be a way forward instead, and buy a now TV box for £10 - I can't see anything on ebay today for passes.
              What's a now TV box?

I think there was some promo on Now passes via Shell but they all expired 24th July so maybe the supply dried up. If so that sucks, I was hoping to watch the Ashes but for £10 a day they can shove that up their arse...

TV has a freeview box inside it (never used it as we have cable and no TV aerial), the house will have a satellite dish already installed, but I have no freeview or freesat box, so would need a decoder anyway. Currently have a Tivo so I want something which can record and pause live TV.[/QUOTE]

Comment

You can? Got a link?
                https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/info/tv...ost/sky-sports

What I haven't found out is whether you can just add it for a month and then cancel it - I'm not paying £30 a month for a year, but would do it over the few months of the year when England are playing cricket

What's a now TV box?

I think there was some promo on Now passes via Shell but they all expired 24th July so maybe the supply dried up. If so that sucks, I was hoping to watch the Ashes but for £10 a day they can shove that up their arse...
                https://shop.nowtv.com/

Plugs into the TV and wifi, so you can watch NowTV through a TV.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  What I haven't found out is whether you can just add it for a month and then cancel it - I'm not paying £30 a month for a year, but would do it over the few months of the year when England are playing cricket
                  Yes you can - "All Boosts have a minimum one-month commitment. Once added, you'll continue to receive the Boost until you opt-out or your contract ends."

So can opt in and out as you want.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Ta for that. The PS3 Now app is pretty good and you can just plug in a laptop so the box may or may not be useful I suppose.

But that's bloody annoying for Sports... I'm a Sky customer for broadband as well as TV and I can't get Sports except on a 12 month contract. Whereas you can, through a different ISP entirely?!

Does anyone else have the same deal, it's daft I can't access Sky as easily as someone who isn't a Sky customer!

Comment

Working...
                    X