• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Schrödinger's cat Dead and Alive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schrödinger's cat Dead and Alive

<placeholder>

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Surely if you wait long enough it will die of starvation and thirst.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Surely if you wait long enough it will die of starvation and thirst.
      Yes but you won't know until you observe the dead moggy, it might be turbo-cat...

Sent from AIX using vi

Comment

Ah, but has the universe split into two, thus having a dead and an alive cat? And of course, if you open the box to observe it, then you will exist in both universes as well, one where you observe a dead moggy, and one where you observe a live one that jumps out of the box and rakes its claws down your legs.
        But then, could the latter universe also split if the cat isn't sure whether to scratch you bloody or purr and try for a bit of fresh tuna?
        And what about in the first one where a virus has a 50% chance of mutating into something that can re-animate dead tissue and so that would split as well.

I need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          Ah, but has the universe split into two, thus having a dead and an alive cat? And of course, if you open the box to observe it, then you will exist in both universes as well, one where you observe a dead moggy, and one where you observe a live one that jumps out of the box and rakes its claws down your legs.
          But then, could the latter universe also split if the cat isn't sure whether to scratch you bloody or purr and try for a bit of fresh tuna?
          And what about in the first one where a virus has a 50% chance of mutating into something that can re-animate dead tissue and so that would split as well.

I need to get out more.
          Or get a cat.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Schrödinger'scat is alive and well

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post

I need to get out more.
              Although if you believe in the multi-verse theory, of an infinite parallel universes with an infinite number of possibilities, somewhere the cat is dead, alive and also Batman
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Although if you believe in the multi-verse theory, of an infinite parallel universes with an infinite number of possibilities, somewhere the cat is dead, alive and also Batman
                I'm more of a steady state big bang man myself.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  It is entirely possible to have an infinite number of universes, and not one of them where the cat is Batman. In the same way that there are an infinite number of odd numbers, and not one of them is even.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've recently reread the whole Hitchhikers trilogy.

Originally posted by Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams
                    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in what we laughingly call the past, had a great deal to say on the subject of parallel universes. Very little of this is, however, at all comprehensible to anyone below the level of Advanced God, and since it is now well established that all known gods came into existence a good three-millionths of a second after the Universe began rather than, as they usually claimed, the previous week, they already have a great deal of explaining to do as it is, and therefore not available for comment on matters of deep physics at this time.

One encouraging thing the Guide does have to say on the subject of parallel universes is that you don't stand the remotest chance of understanding it. You can therefore say "What?" and "Eh?" and even go cross-eyed and start to blither if you like without any fear of making a fool of yourself.

The first thing to realise about parallel universes, the Guide says, is that they are not parallel.

It is also important to realize that they are not, strictly speaking, universes either, but it is easiest if you try and realize that a little later, after you've realized that everything you've realized up to that moment is not true.

The reason they are not universes is that any given universe is not actually a thing as such, but is just a way of looking at what is technically known as the WSOGMM, or Whole Sort of General Mish Mash. The Whole Sort of General Mish Mash doesn't actually exist either, but is just the sum total of all the different ways there would be of looking at it if it did.

The reason they are not parallel is the same reason that the sea is not parallel. It doesn't mean anything. You can slice the Whole Sort of General Mish Mash any way you like and you will generally come up with something that someone will call home.

Please feel free to blither now.
                    HTH.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X