• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working night shift 8pm - 8am

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working night shift 8pm - 8am

Not quite so easy if you want to stay in hotel.

I could, of course, check in hotel on night 1, go into client at 8pm, get back to hotel and sleep all day.
    Back in office night 2 8pm till 8am, back to hotel, 4 hours kip till checkout at 12pm. Drive home.

Or I could be tight and go straight to client 8pm night 1. Leave 8am, kip in car till 12pm. Check into hotel then, do same as above. Thus being tightarse and saving one nights hotel stay. Seems a bit of a waste paying for 4 hours kip.....

Of course, trouble with this plan is no matter whether you put do not disturb on the door you can guarantee the cleaning lady will come barging in while you're sleeping in the middle of the day.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Of course, trouble with this plan is no matter whether you put do not disturb on the door you can guarantee the cleaning lady will come barging in while you're sleeping in the middle of the day.
    If that wakes you up then you did not work hard enough during your night shift...

Comment

you can guarantee the cleaning lady will come barging in while you're sleeping in the middle of the day.
      Have a chat with Kent Philip, he can tell you what to do in those situations
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Or you could negotiate that when you are on nights, they pay for your accommodation, since it's outside the routine.

You'll have discussed and sorted that out at the interview, though, I'm sure.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Or you could negotiate that when you are on nights, they pay for your accommodation, since it's outside the routine.

Looks at op and realises the answer. Surely this also makes you IR35 foddy as you move from a professional day to working night shift because the client asked you to do it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Looks at op and realises the answer. Surely this also makes you IR35 foddy as you move from a professional day to working night shift because the client asked you to do it.
            Perfectly aware of this BUT its a short contract (7 weeks). The risks are still there of course.

In terms of PWD, of course, I ain't working 12 hours night shift for same rate. Client has kindly offered a very generous uplift. 1.5 for 12 hours plus 1.25 for nights, 1.5 for sunday etc. In fact, a sunday night works out nicely indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

It's in his contract directly below the late cancellation charge clause.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                If that wakes you up then you did not work hard enough during your night shift...

Work? :-)

Comment

Perfectly aware of this BUT its a short contract (7 weeks). The risks are still there of course.

In terms of PWD, of course, I ain't working 12 hours night shift for same rate. Client has kindly offered a very generous uplift. 1.5 for 12 hours plus 1.25 for nights, 1.5 for sunday etc. In fact, a sunday night works out nicely indeed.
                  How much for 12 hours night time shift on Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    How much for 12 hours night time shift on Sunday?
                    3s 4d.

Comment

Working...
                    X