• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caffeine!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caffeine!

Thing on telly where they did exercise tests with and without a caffeine fix first. For the unfit girly, coffee made 30% improvement. For the fit boy, 10%.

Usually have a milky tea before my parkrun - think I might upgrade to a strong coffee! Roll on Saturday!

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Thing on telly where they did exercise tests with and without a caffeine fix first. For the unfit girly, coffee made 30% improvement. For the fit boy, 10%.

Usually have a milky tea before my parkrun - think I might upgrade to a strong coffee! Roll on Saturday!
    Try some cocaine. Increases performance by 150%. Can hook u up if you like.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Try some cocaine. Increases performance by 150%. Can hook u up if you like.
      A novel way to fund your trowbridge builds...

Comment

I buy 100mg pills by the 100 for running, 200mg makes a big difference. (A strong coffee is about 300->400mg)

A rockstar drink is good with 150 mg, taurine in there as well.

Too much makes me really jittery.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I buy 100mg pills by the 100 for running, 200mg makes a big difference. (A strong coffee is about 300->400mg)

A rockstar drink is good with 150 mg, taurine in there as well.

Too much makes me really jittery.
          Got some pro Plus that I confiscated off my mother in the cupboard. How long before you run do you take it? Really would like to see if it makes a noticeable difference - I've been chasing my (slow) PB for the last few weeks - got within 3 seconds two weeks ago.

Comment

I take it just before I go out and it can kick after 20 minutes or so but if it is a 5k I would go for it 40 minutes prior.

I actually find the pills come on stronger for the mg amount compared to the drink, I think pro plus are 40mg each.

It will make a difference, I find it helps focus the mind on the run, you seem to zone out a bit and away from the discomfort.

Comment

Cheers - will report back! (although I'm out on the booze tomorrow night, which may possibly have a negative effect...)

Comment

I only take caffeine before/during races so it makes a huge difference.

Has anyone tried bicarbonate of saoda before training to stop lactic acid build up?

Comment

Cyclists have been doing this for years, whether as pills and energy gels for a race or a social espresso at the Cafe before a club ride.

Good write up on the basics here:

Exercise & Caffeine: Boost Performance With Coffee | Bicycling Magazine

It also works after training if you take it in conjunction with your recovery carbs.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Any health risk?
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X