• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Justice in the USA...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justice in the USA...

British company has accident on subcontracted oil rig, fined $4,525,000,000.

US company once run by Dick Cheney and involved in the Iraq invasion destroys evidence that they actually caused the accident, thereby obstructing the course of justice, fined $200,000.

Halliburton admits it destroyed Gulf of Mexico evidence - Telegraph

Yep, land of the free and home of the brave.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 26 July 2013, 07:11.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Now you know where 'Call me Dave', "'onest Tone" and his chums get their inspiration from
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

US company once run by Dick Cheney and involved in the Iraq invasion destroys evidence that they actually caused the accident, thereby obstructing the course of justice, fined $200,000.

It is even worse, a condition of the US grating BP the drilling license was that they must subcontract to a US company
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        It is even worse, a condition of the US grating BP the drilling license was that they must subcontract to a US company
        I wonder if anyone from the republican party took part in writing those conditions?? Dick Cheney??

And they dare to call various Latin American countries 'corrupt'.

Comment

Once Halliburton has been found guilty BP will sue them for punitive damages which will more than exceed the $4bn they were fined
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Once Halliburton has been found guilty BP will sue them for punitive damages which will more than exceed the $4bn they were fined
            You think BP stand a chance in that? Halliburton isn't an ordinary company.

Comment

BP are being utterly destroyed by this. If they're found grossly negligent they'll be hit with an enormous fine, and the amount of claims flooding in for the compensation payments is going to be billions higher than they initially expected.

Many many years ago when I worked there and attended a H&S briefing, I remember the guy running it saying how BP would never survive a Piper Alpha.
              Well, this was a Piper Alpha and then some.
              Worrying times for them I think.

Comment

You think BP stand a chance in that? Halliburton isn't an ordinary company.
                It's kinda hard hard to defend if they have addmited guilt in another court

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                  BP are being utterly destroyed by this. If they're found grossly negligent they'll be hit with an enormous fine, and the amount of claims flooding in for the compensation payments is going to be billions higher than they initially expected.

Many many years ago when I worked there and attended a H&S briefing, I remember the guy running it saying how BP would never survive a Piper Alpha.
                  Well, this was a Piper Alpha and then some.
                  Worrying times for them I think.
                  The thing thats hurting BP is the claims for punitive damages, fair enough, however the rules state that you don't need to show that the loss of earnings came from the disaster rather than some other event like the major US Economic down turn

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    It's kinda hard hard to defend if they have addmited guilt in another court
                    We'll see; I have a feeling Halliburton will get away with it and BP will be screwed by the US government; maybe BP won't bother with suing Halliburton given that risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X