• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Working

why wont companies activley promote homeworking ? all the technology in place and never get to use it....only at 3am when you're on-call. Oh I know, 'coz middle management will become redundant and they dont trust you, think you'll be down the snooker club or summit. Oh and yeah must not forget the Governement wanting their share of the petrol revenue !!

That's about right! I think you summed it up perfectly.

Software projects can be a bugger though if the staff are geographically distant.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
      That's about right! I think you summed it up perfectly.

Software projects can be a bugger though if the staff are geographically distant.

As soon as they realise that everything can be done remotely cos everyone's working from home they'll offshore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
        Oh and yeah must not forget the Governement wanting their share of the petrol revenue !!
        Correct, citizen. Working from home is tax evasion so that's 20 years in the iso-cubes for you.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I spend 3 hours+ and about £30 per day getting into an office every day, when for the most part I could do the same work from home quite easily. You couldn't have too much isolation in software development, but ideally I'd come in for 2 days a week, stay over the one night, and then have 3 days working at home. I mostly work by myself anyway, and there's phone/email/VPN/remote desktop to solve any problems.

My client isn't the sort of company that would entertain such a radical idea though.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I had a brief 3 weeks contract in June where I worked 4 days from home and 1 day in the office - worked well as I was not tired from travelling, the client however already had a number of off-site contractors, and actually team in Ukraine. I think the reason they were open minded is because they are a reasonably successful young company whose main objective is to get good results rather than create policies for policies sake.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              I had a brief 3 weeks contract in June where I worked 4 days from home and 1 day in the office - worked well as I was not tired from travelling, the client however already had a number of off-site contractors, and actually team in Ukraine. I think the reason they were open minded is because they are a reasonably successful young company whose main objective is to get good results rather than create policies for policies sake.

Sounds good to me.....we need more of it ! after all who needs to start the days work with a long commute !!! sooner this country gets into the 21st century the better ! it gets my vote !

Comment

Work is a five minute walk for me.

Takes me longer to wheeze my way up the four flights of stairs when I get there.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd

Takes me longer to wheeze my way up the four flights of stairs when I get there.
                  What about coming down the stairs ?

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    How many times did you get mugged this year?

Comment

Working...
                    X