• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ouch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch

Sports Direct: 90% of staff on zero-hour contracts | Business | The Guardian

Sports Direct's entire 20,000 part-time workforce are employed on zero-hour contracts at a time when 2,000 full-time staff are about to cash in bonuses of up to £100,000.

The contracts, handed to 90% of the company's 23,000 employees, leave staff not knowing how many hours they will work from one week to the next, with no sick pay or holiday pay, and no guarantee of regular work.
    nice - what to do?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Be in the first group not the second...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      nice - what to do?
      St. Vince is investigating
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Be in the first group not the second...
        +1
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not only Sports Direct.

Some staff at McDonalds also have zero hours contracts (e.g. my daughter).

Some comments here:
          Zero-hour contracts: your experiences | Law | guardian.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            St. Vince is investigating
            Is this the same St Vince that when Questioned on why he was letting so many bobs into do IT jobs below the minimum wage he said that he was working with HMRC to stop companies avoiding the minimum wage?

Vince Cable to act on employers who fail to pay the minimum wage | Society | The Observer

I cant see a single reference to the plight of bobs in here but plenty of ammo for HMRC to try and pin wage settlements on UK companies...

Comment

these are effectuvily just running their own recruitment agency

get lots of 'trained' people on your books (students etc) who can be pulled in at short notice.

is it right or wrong - well surely having a zero hours contract is better than having no job?

however does having a zero hours contract tie you into the company that much? probably not so you could get another job?

but finally no offence but Maccy D's, Sports direct etc are not really careers in the first place - although stay at them long enough and you will move up the food chain.

Comment

Working...
              X