• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Samsung Quad HD S9 (UHD) 85" TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Quad HD S9 (UHD) 85" TV

Saw one of these at the weekend, obviously running off some dedicated Quad HD source, and not very useful at home yet, but all I could say was WOW.

The quality even close up was like looking at a really clear digital photo.

Look forward to this becoming the common broadcast standard.

Edit : FYI just did a google for "s9 quad hd samsung" and the top article was this one. Already. That was rapid.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 29 July 2013, 12:11. Reason: Update
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

£35,000 85in Samsung S9 4K Ultra HD TV goes on sale today | Stuff

£35k from Selfridges

Toshiba's 84" screen is due this year, I believe.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I hope I am not forced to rebuy my collection of blu rays again in 4K

Comment

They have cheaper 55" and 60" versions coming out before the end of the year, allegedly.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          They have cheaper 55" and 60" versions coming out before the end of the year, allegedly.
          Best time to buy would be just before they intro 16K res screens sometime in 2020...

Comment

Until 4k Blurays are a reasonable price I can't see the point
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I'm someone who likes a good TV, but I can't understand the point or resolutions higher than current 1080p. The resolution you need is determined by how close your eyes are to the screen.

The vast majority of people sit too far away to derive the full benefit of current HD. Indeed most sit at a distance appropriate for standard definition, these are the people who post online that they cannot see the benefit of HD. They are correct, for them, if they are not prepared to reconfigure their living room, there is no benefit.

I sit a little less than 8 feet from a 4-foot wide screen. At that distance and screen size, a human eye would not be able to tell the difference between 1080P and a higher resolution. Assuming we fix the viewing distance, to get any advantage from higher resolution I would need a bigger screen. If we double the horizontal and vertical resolution I suppose that means I could watch an 8-foot wide picture from a distance of 8-feet. I'm not sure I would want to do that.

Edit: Have just mentally tried that out, it would be similar to the kind of screen size you get in a cinema, so OK for the occasional movie, but possibly a bit overwhelming for all your TV.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 29 July 2013, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                I'm someone who likes a good TV, but I can't understand the point or resolutions higher than current 1080p. The resolution you need is determined by how close your eyes are to the screen.
                Psst... it's part of national wide preperations for the "lost decade" - Japanese style depression that lasts forever - houses will become so small that TVs will have to be 4K.

Comment

I expect blu-ray DVD's and HD TV's will go in the "inflation" basket as soon as Quad HD is mainstream.

Comment

Working...
                  X