• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I claim my mobile phone ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I claim my mobile phone ?

I have to say most of it is used for work and the bill goes up people from work have always rang me on my personal phone, I think I should have claimed long ago..

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
    I have to say most of it is used for work and the bill goes up people from work have always rang me on my personal phone, I think I should have claimed long ago..
    Put the contract in the company name and claim. Otherwise you can only claim the itemised calls that are work related.

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
      In order to make a successful claim the contract should be in the company name and be paid direct from the company account.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

As the others say, the catch is that it MUST be in the company name and MUST be paid for by the company. The good news is that your company can buy you a phone and the company can pay for your private calls without it being a BIK.

Watch out that your phone provider doesn't want to charge you more for a "business" tariff and wipe out the tax savings though. T-Mobile are one provider who charge the same to business or personal customers.

HMRC's rules are here.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Watch out that your phone provider doesn't want to charge you more for a "business" tariff and wipe out the tax savings though.
          That's problem the main reason I haven't bothered to get one, I just use my old phone with a PAYG sim
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            That's problem the main reason I haven't bothered to get one, I just use my old phone with a PAYG sim
            Surely you're better off paying slightly more on a business tariff than not being able to claim anything?

Or does PAYG give you itemised billing these days so you can highlight what's a business call and what isn't?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Watch out that your phone provider doesn't want to charge you more for a "business" tariff and wipe out the tax savings though.
              If you make lots of calls, then the time spent by being able to claim the whole thing is probably more than any additional cost from the different tariff.

When I was permie, I used to spend ages going through the bills, adding up the charges, then claiming the calls back. Just being able to bung the whole bill through saves me time that I'd rather spend doing other things.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Surely you're better off paying slightly more on a business tariff than not being able to claim anything?

Or does PAYG give you itemised billing these days so you can highlight what's a business call and what isn't?
                I pay for PAYG mobile top-ups through the company and my accountant has never queried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  I pay for PAYG mobile top-ups through the company and my accountant has never queried it.
                  Now this is interesting
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

I've never claimed for it to be fair and I don't really use it much for calls, it's more for receiving calls if anything but it's nice to have a dedicated line and not receive them on my personal mobile
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X