• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Queen Imports cheap labour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen Imports cheap labour?

RICHARD KAY: Sad exit for Badar Azim, footman star of Prince George's royal birth | Mail Online

He was the boy from an Indian slum, thrust into the limelight as a royal footman striding across the Buckingham Palace courtyard with the announcement of the birth of Prince George.

But there is a poignant twist in the tale of Badar Azim’s triumph over adversity.

For just days after his starring role in posting on an ornate easel news of the safe arrival of the Duchess of Cambridge’s baby, 25-year-old Azim is no longer working for the Queen.

Footman Badar Azim helped the Queen's press secretary Ailsa Anderson place the announcement of Prince George's birth on an easel outside Buckingham Palace last week - but has since left the Royal Household because his visa expired
    Footman Badar Azim helped the Queen's press secretary Ailsa Anderson place the announcement of Prince George's birth on an easel outside Buckingham Palace last week - but has since left the Royal Household because his visa expired

According to insiders, the well-mannered young man left the Palace at the end of last week.

‘His visa had run out and although he was eager to stay, he has now gone,’ I am told.

Azim is one of several overseas employees who have gone into royal service from Commonwealth countries working on temporary visas.

But none has had the impact the boy from Calcutta’s charitable St Mary’s Orphanage and Day School has enjoyed.

lets hope they paid him well.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The Queen employs a lot of people from the Commonwealth on temporary contracts; it's part of her duties to the Commonwealth and spreading the wealth around a bit. The guy probably earnt some money and gained useful experience.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A footman at the Palace will only just be above minimum wage
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        A footman at the Palace will only just be above minimum wage
        Yep, but if he had board and lodgings that's probably pretty worthwhile given the cost of living when he returns to India.

I don't see what the fuss is about; lots of young people from Britain spend a while working overseas to get experience, I spent 2 months working in Canada when I was 17 and three months in Aus a year later, and this bloke Azim's just done the same thing. Well done to him, and good on the Queen for giving him the opportunity.

Of course, some Daily Wailists will be up in arms about foreigners doing a job a Brit could do, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the same people who send nauseating round robins to everyone at christmas saying 'young Ollie's off to spend 2 months shearing sheep in Australia; that'll be great experience for when he goes into merchant banking'.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Kinda doubt he really was from slums. Very touching story.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
          X