• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What am I doing wrong ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong ?

I have been a silent reader of this forum until recently when I couldn't hold the urge to get some experienced advice. I have been a newbie contractor in the IT networking industry and have so far managed to grab only 2 gigs with the second one being a very short term consultancy job worth just 15 days that ended in May 2013. I have since been on the lookout for a new one and have had no luck. I used to get calls from agencies initially but thanks to this forum, I learned how they were just bogus opportunities and were only after the invaluable 2 references. Anyway, so here's the situation - for some reason I have not been getting many calls lately regardless whether they are genuine opportunities or not. Infact, I give myself a little treat if I get even 1 call in a week. I apply for at least 5-6 gigs almost everyday and without bragging about myself, I don't think my CV isn't even worth a phone call. I do also have quite a few certifications to add to my skillset.

My first contract ended abruptly and I wasn't fully prepared for this(which is another long story) so financially I wouldn't be able to last long like this and I have a family and kids to look after. I therefore thought of applying for some well paying permies but its more or less the same situation there. I therefore have a few queries and seeking some helpful advice
    1) Any idea of what am I doing wrong or some advice on what to do and what not to do .
    2) What is the sort of an average bench period that I should be looking for before agencies or companies start thinking that I am worthless if I couldn't secure a gig in "so and so" many months.
    3) I know the market isn't that good but I don't want to be a bad workman and blame my tools if there is something I can work upon to increase my chances.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated and being my first post, requesting you to take it easy

Originally posted by way2contra View Post
    <snip>...I give myself a little treat if I get even 1 call in a week....<snip>
    Aside from the obvious need to snigger at the above part.....

Seriously, though, probably need more details on what you are doing.
    For example, do you have a very specific niche you are targetting?
    Do you restrict your searches to a limited geographic area?
    Do you have tailored variations of C.V.s to send out and follow-up by phone to Agent(s)?
    Do you have difficult to match rate expectations?
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kevpuk. I am into Cisco networks completely so any gig that needs anything else apart from Cisco is straight-away ruled out. With that said, there are still apparently abundant opportunities within the Cisco realm and I am pretty good with both Cisco Voice (i.e UC) and Data with equally certified in the 2 fields. I did initially restrict myself geographically but have now started considering nationwide roles to no avail. Rate-wise I am very much into expectations but I must say that I do not even get called out to ask for my expectations so I don't think rate is an issue here.
      I do have tailored variations of CVs but considering that I have worked equally in Cisco Voice and Data, it is a little hard for me to emphasize one over the other. I also have done varied roles in my 12 years of experience so I can't present myself as an expert of being in one role. But I think you've given me 1 thing to re-think upon so I would now be looking to tweak my CV a little further .
      The only thing I don't do is follow-up by phone to an agent. I have tried it though and have either been straightaway directed to their voicemail without getting a callback or have been told off with excuses such as - you don't completely match the skillset, you haven't worked on so and so thing , sometimes the rates etc. etc. Is it really that critical to call up an agent after applying for a job. I was of the opinion that if the JD matches my skills and expectations, the agent should ideally call me up to discuss the prospects. Does that not show up my desperation ( which by the way I am ) to get myself a gig ?

Comment

Give yourself a little treat? Naughty boy.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Give yourself a little treat? Naughty boy.

qh
          I was only talking about having a couple of beers. Not sure who is being naughty here

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kevpuk. I am into Cisco networks completely so any gig that needs anything else apart from Cisco is straight-away ruled out. With that said, there are still apparently abundant opportunities within the Cisco realm and I am pretty good with both Cisco Voice (i.e UC) and Data with equally certified in the 2 fields. I did initially restrict myself geographically but have now started considering nationwide roles to no avail. Rate-wise I am very much into expectations but I must say that I do not even get called out to ask for my expectations so I don't think rate is an issue here.
            I do have tailored variations of CVs but considering that I have worked equally in Cisco Voice and Data, it is a little hard for me to emphasize one over the other. I also have done varied roles in my 12 years of experience so I can't present myself as an expert of being in one role. But I think you've given me 1 thing to re-think upon so I would now be looking to tweak my CV a little further .
            The only thing I don't do is follow-up by phone to an agent. I have tried it though and have either been straightaway directed to their voicemail without getting a callback or have been told off with excuses such as - you don't completely match the skillset, you haven't worked on so and so thing , sometimes the rates etc. etc. Is it really that critical to call up an agent after applying for a job. I was of the opinion that if the JD matches my skills and expectations, the agent should ideally call me up to discuss the prospects. Does that not show up my desperation ( which by the way I am ) to get myself a gig ?
            Perhaps the content of your CV is fine - great even. But does it make someone want to pick it up and read it? Maybe consider getting your CV reviewed.

I never chase agents. Pointless in my opinion.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I a wide range of experience in a single sector (healthcare). I have multiple CVs that I use as a basis to tailor for particular gigs:

- IT PM
              - IT business change / implementation
              - IT business / systems analysis
              - Non-IT clinical service transformation

Each CV is truthful but the emphasis is such that the first and last CVs tell very different stories. When I am going for a non-IT clinical service transformation gig, they have no interest in my data migration experience.

So if you think it's worth it... have a hard look at your CV and write a Voice CV and a Data CV.

If you are looking to be phoned by pimps, are you refreshing your CVs on job boards every week. That used to be effective, but things may have moved on.

I have had several approaches from pimps via LinkedIn, particularly for niche contracts. In any case, sort your LinkedIn profile out and list any niche products or industries. In addition to being approached, I applied for a job board gig last week sending a CV and within six hours the MD had looked at my linkedin profile (and I don't include a link on my CV. I have a phone interview on Friday. I don't know whether my LinkedIn profile helped, but why was he looking if not to inform his decision making.

Have you tapped your contacts - from gigs but also from permie days? Keep in touch with them and let them know you're available and you may strike lucky.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                I a wide range of experience in a single sector (healthcare). I have multiple CVs that I use as a basis to tailor for particular gigs:

- IT PM
                - IT business change / implementation
                - IT business / systems analysis
                - Non-IT clinical service transformation

Each CV is truthful but the emphasis is such that the first and last CVs tell very different stories. When I am going for a non-IT clinical service transformation gig, they have no interest in my data migration experience.

So if you think it's worth it... have a hard look at your CV and write a Voice CV and a Data CV.

If you are looking to be phoned by pimps, are you refreshing your CVs on job boards every week. That used to be effective, but things may have moved on.

I have had several approaches from pimps via LinkedIn, particularly for niche contracts. In any case, sort your LinkedIn profile out and list any niche products or industries. In addition to being approached, I applied for a job board gig last week sending a CV and within six hours the MD had looked at my linkedin profile (and I don't include a link on my CV. I have a phone interview on Friday. I don't know whether my LinkedIn profile helped, but why was he looking if not to inform his decision making.

Have you tapped your contacts - from gigs but also from permie days? Keep in touch with them and let them know you're available and you may strike lucky.

Good luck!
                How do position your linkedin profile against the different CVs? Just interested like.

Comment

Thanks for the reply MaryPoppins and Old Greg. Working on improvising my CV now, am hoping it would make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Perhaps the content of your CV is fine - great even. But does it make someone want to pick it up and read it? Maybe consider getting your CV reviewed.
                    Have some friends look over it and see what they think - even better if they are also contractors, as they know what finds them work.

Brush up the LinkedIn profile - join some groups as well and see if there is work out there. I got my current gig because someone I worked with 10 years back saw I was available on LinkedIn and dropped me a line. I'd not been in touch in that time, he just sold me to the project as "he was pretty good ten years back when I worked with him, can't imagine he's any worse now!" and I started a week later.

You may need to be flexible on location - it's not ideal, but if there is no work near you, then you need to go find it.

Keep updating the CV and upload it regularly to various jobs boards. Even minor tweaks - some systems default to only showing recently updated CVs.

If there has been a significant gap, then you might need to think about how to fill that - training, skilling up, writing a blog, travelling... All valid answers - if the gap is too big and you have no history of contracting, then agenst will ditch you.

Finally - if you want to come and cable up my house, there's £50 in it for you
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X