PDA

View Full Version : Building whole-wall fitted shelves

d000hg
1st August 2013, 14:10
Boring thread alert...

I'd like to fit shelves floor-ceiling along one wall of our living room as something of a feature. I'd initially thought of just very long shelves along the whole wall but I'm wondering if we should do something different so we have spaces for very tall books, ornaments, pictures and so on. A much more random storage arrangement rather than just bookshelves.

Problem is I can't figure out how to design the layout and I have the feeling it could easily look really terrible. What would & wouldn't work, I wonder...

I want all the shelves to be the same depth - about 6" as there is a boxed pipe that depth at one end.

Any thoughts on what might look good, and/or how I can figure out what would work before actually starting work? Perhaps there are some DIY gems that would be useful here?

TheFaQQer
1st August 2013, 14:12
Have a look on Pinterest.

cailin maith
1st August 2013, 14:16
Have a look on Pinterest.

WHS

d000hg
1st August 2013, 14:39
Wot's that then? I go to https://pinterest.com/ and I can't see what the point is without logging in... just looks like more Web 2.0 "lookatme" from the about page so how is it useful to me in this scenario? Forums? Stealing other people's ideas?

bobspud
1st August 2013, 15:03
Try these people.

https://www.vitsoe.com/gb

They will design you a wall of shelves to your needs from their patterns

sasguru
1st August 2013, 15:45
I designed a bespoke floor to ceiling shelving solution (mainly for books) on one wall of our living room but also incorporating the existing small ventilation windows, space for photos (down a narrow central column), space for hi fi, etc. Therefore variable height shelves, large at the bottom then same height for the rest.
Looks the bees knees.
Showed a drawing to my Poles who built it out of wood, which I insisted on, although you can use mdf.
I would suggest you do the same, make some measurements, do a drawing and get someone (a carpenter or joinery guy) to build it for you.
My advice is don't skimp on the planning, drawing and measurements and you'll end up with something great.

suityou01
1st August 2013, 15:57
Boring thread alert...

yawn ....

How about this?

http://static.oprah.com/images/tows/200702/20070207/20070207_103_350x263.jpg

doodab
1st August 2013, 16:00
I just piled the books from floor to ceiling and balanced the other stuff on top.

d000hg
1st August 2013, 16:00
I would suggest you do the same, make some measurements, do a drawing and get someone (a carpenter or joinery guy) to build it for you.
My advice is don't skimp on the planning, drawing and measurements and you'll end up with something great.It's the drawing and planning I am wanting to figure out. Did you just sketch on A4 or go and draw on the wall ... I'm quite tempted by the latter :)

Did you get yours with wooden backing or does the existing wall take this role?

sasguru
1st August 2013, 16:12
It's the drawing and planning I am wanting to figure out. Did you just sketch on A4 or go and draw on the wall ... I'm quite tempted by the latter :)

Did you get yours with wooden backing or does the existing wall take this role?

Did a sketch on A4 (but an accurate one with measurements).
No backing just use the existing wall.
Don't make it too complex and you'll be fine.

OwlHoot
1st August 2013, 17:14
I want all the shelves to be the same depth - about 6" as there is a boxed pipe that depth at one end. ...

6" doesn't seem deep enough, unless all your ornaments are miniature porcelain bulldogs and snuff boxes, and all your books paperbacks.

I'd make it 9" or 1' and damn the boxed in pipe, or re-box it in.

suityou01
1st August 2013, 17:23
Isn't there an app for this? :nerd

sasguru
1st August 2013, 18:02
6" doesn't seem deep enough, unless all your ornaments are miniature porcelain bulldogs and snuff boxes, and all your books paperbacks.

I'd make it 9" or 1' and damn the boxed in pipe, or re-box it in.

Didn't notice that he wanted depth of 6 inches :eek:eek. Completely agree. The depth of my shelves in 14 inches.

Halo Jones
2nd August 2013, 06:33
At only 6” deep make sure you fasten it to the wall, (mid & top) as the base to height ratio is skew & likely to topple.

Either use an Ikea like system or get it built to order: but don’t use a joiner or kitchen fitter, get a carpenter / furniture maker in.

darmstadt
2nd August 2013, 06:53
Don't get me to do it:

http://incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/upside-down-book-shelf.jpg

alluvial
2nd August 2013, 08:10
Go to the UKWorkshop forum (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/) and have a look there. Lots of threads on fitted shelves and there should be some stuff on design as well.

And there is an app. The sagulator (http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm) can be invaluable and save some embarrassment.

proggy
2nd August 2013, 08:15
Why not get a joiner in to do it, your time as a contractor is expensive and given your asking about it on a IT contractor forum you will likely balls it up.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Blog_Images/bookshelf_7_25_12_MS.jpg

d000hg
2nd August 2013, 10:08
Sorry my mistake, it's actually nearer 10". The current floor-standing shelf we have is very deep so it looked less in comparison, but it turns out the shelves we have are more like 14". Which is way too deep for paperbacks, they disappear inside the shelf!

I reckon the 9-10" we actually have should be a good compromise, though the comment about re-boxing the pipe is't a bad call.

Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal ;)

doodab
2nd August 2013, 10:16
Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal ;)

You could take photos of the spines of books and stick them to the wall. From a distance, you won't be able to tell the difference.

d000hg
2nd August 2013, 10:17
Did a sketch on A4 (but an accurate one with measurements).
No backing just use the existing wall.
Don't make it too complex and you'll be fine.Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.

vetran
2nd August 2013, 10:22
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Blog_Images/bookshelf_7_25_12_MS.jpg

like that!

sasguru
2nd August 2013, 11:09
Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.

No, shelves not fitted to a wall with brackets.
They made a big free standing unit and slotted it in - in my case it was two alcoves on each side of a protruding chimney breast, so 2 free-standing units really.
The depth of the chimney breast defined the depth of the shelves i.e. 14 inches, so its all flush.
I don't know if they glued the structure to the sides or bottom or how they fixed that part of it, but its all flush and secure.

sasguru
2nd August 2013, 11:14
No, shelves not fitted to a wall with brackets.
They made a big free standing unit and slotted it in - in my case it was two alcoves on each side of a protruding chimney breast, so 2 free-standing units really.
The depth of the chimney breast defined the depth of the shelves i.e. 14 inches, so its all flush.
I don't know if they glued the structure to the sides or bottom or how they fixed that part of it, but its all flush and secure.

Actually calling it free-standing gives the wrong impression. That's how it was made but now its fitted, You can't move the shelves. Bit embarrassing that I don't know how that fitting was achieved, being a bit crap at DIY.

d000hg
2nd August 2013, 11:43
Thanks Sas. I've got a guy who knows all the practical side of things but knowing what I want him to do will be much easier - sounds I basically want a similar approach to yours.

suityou01
2nd August 2013, 11:49
Thanks Sas. I've got a guy who knows all the practical side of things but knowing what I want him to do will be much easier - sounds I basically want a similar approach to yours.

Remember this, you took advice from SAS. :rolleyes:

d000hg
2nd August 2013, 11:53
Yeah, worrying but hopefully a one-off. If I ask Suity how to manage the project can someone do an intervention please?

sasguru
2nd August 2013, 12:35
Remember this, you took advice from SAS. :rolleyes:

You're saying that like I'm as incompetent as you are.:laugh:laugh

cailin maith
2nd August 2013, 14:13
Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.

If you get a decent cabinet maker, there shouldn't be any brackets or at least nothing visable.

Shit..... some of that crap my brother used to spout clearly went in my head and stayed there :eyes