• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building whole-wall fitted shelves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building whole-wall fitted shelves

Boring thread alert...

I'd like to fit shelves floor-ceiling along one wall of our living room as something of a feature. I'd initially thought of just very long shelves along the whole wall but I'm wondering if we should do something different so we have spaces for very tall books, ornaments, pictures and so on. A much more random storage arrangement rather than just bookshelves.

Problem is I can't figure out how to design the layout and I have the feeling it could easily look really terrible. What would & wouldn't work, I wonder...

I want all the shelves to be the same depth - about 6" as there is a boxed pipe that depth at one end.

Any thoughts on what might look good, and/or how I can figure out what would work before actually starting work? Perhaps there are some DIY gems that would be useful here?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Have a look on Pinterest.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Have a look on Pinterest.
      WHS
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Wot's that then? I go to https://pinterest.com/ and I can't see what the point is without logging in... just looks like more Web 2.0 "lookatme" from the about page so how is it useful to me in this scenario? Forums? Stealing other people's ideas?

Comment

Try these people.

https://www.vitsoe.com/gb

They will design you a wall of shelves to your needs from their patterns

Comment

I designed a bespoke floor to ceiling shelving solution (mainly for books) on one wall of our living room but also incorporating the existing small ventilation windows, space for photos (down a narrow central column), space for hi fi, etc. Therefore variable height shelves, large at the bottom then same height for the rest.
            Looks the bees knees.
            Showed a drawing to my Poles who built it out of wood, which I insisted on, although you can use mdf.
            I would suggest you do the same, make some measurements, do a drawing and get someone (a carpenter or joinery guy) to build it for you.
            My advice is don't skimp on the planning, drawing and measurements and you'll end up with something great.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Boring thread alert...

yawn ....
              How about this?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I just piled the books from floor to ceiling and balanced the other stuff on top.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  I would suggest you do the same, make some measurements, do a drawing and get someone (a carpenter or joinery guy) to build it for you.
                  My advice is don't skimp on the planning, drawing and measurements and you'll end up with something great.
                  It's the drawing and planning I am wanting to figure out. Did you just sketch on A4 or go and draw on the wall ... I'm quite tempted by the latter

Did you get yours with wooden backing or does the existing wall take this role?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    It's the drawing and planning I am wanting to figure out. Did you just sketch on A4 or go and draw on the wall ... I'm quite tempted by the latter

Did you get yours with wooden backing or does the existing wall take this role?
                    Did a sketch on A4 (but an accurate one with measurements).
                    No backing just use the existing wall.
                    Don't make it too complex and you'll be fine.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X