• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone watching this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone watching this?

How to Get a Council House - Channel 4

Seems a bit ridiculous that the rent is set at a third of commercial rent? However will they ever get anyone to leave?

Each week there are 24,000 people hoping to get one of just 40 properties available.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I lived in a council flat for a year - the lowish rent gave me a chance to save for a deposit for a house.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I lived in a council flat for a year - the lowish rent gave me a chance to save for a deposit for a house.
      Tsk

You're supposed to spend the savings on booze and fags
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I lived in my privately mortgaged flat for 5 years, working my nuts off and not going out or on holiday etc allowed me to save for a deposit. My mates spent all their money and wanted council accommodation.

Its a safety net not a leg up.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Its a safety net not a leg up.
          I think for the thousands who were entitled to buy their flats at 40% discount off market value after living there for two years it was definitely a leg up. (No idea if that's still the case - most of the social housing is now privately run, so probably not). My flat was so tulip that I didn't want to stay in it a minute longer than I had to, so I was able to resist that temptation.

Comment

Here you go

It's increased to five years, but 50% off a flat if you've lived there for five years (at low rent) is pretty crazy.

I particularly like this line:

"The discount you get might be reduced if you’ve used Right to Buy in the past." So you can buy, get a new council place and buy again?

A nice Thatcher legacy.

Comment

yes it was a policy that has sort of got away from itself.

My understanding was it was to turn the council estates that were wholly populated by claimants into mixed ownership, migrate long term ( I thought it was 10 - 20 years where it split the 50%) tenants to ownership so the council didn't have to refurbish them and buy a few votes.

I would look at the level of work and the desirability of the property and discount accordingly. so a 19th floor pokey single bed flat that needs a new kitchen & bathroom and take the councils cost to do that off and offer to the tenant.

Yet a nice 3 bed semi with a garden you don't get a look in unless it makes social sense to change the estates ownership mix.

one offer per person / couple, max discount the value of refurb. so Kitchen £5K, bathroom £2k, rewire £2k. you pay for your own repaint.

Comment

Working...
              X