• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perfumes & aftershaves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfumes & aftershaves

I bought a copy of Perfumes, The Guide for £2 in a charity shop last weekend.

It's an encyclopedic (over 600 pages) set of reviews of currently available perfumes and aftershaves - I had no idea there were such a vast number! Some of the reviews are quite funny and incisive.

Anyway, if it isn't too personal, post the names of your favourites, and I'll reply next week with the review comments for those.

My current aftershave is Givenchy Gentleman. But apparently (according to the guide), this was reformulated a couple of years ago and transformed from one of the better ones to something little better than gnat's piss

edit:

I just noticed the excellent and, IMHO, well-deserved reviews on Amazon:

'I loved it and bought it for all my friends...very likely my favourite book of all time!'
    --Joanne Harris - author of 'Chocolat'

`Instant classic...the first and only no-holds-barred assessment of what's behind the counters.' --Cosmetic News

`As scintillating as it is comprehensive... this pungent, entrancing book is a wake up call for the nostrils.' --The Independent

`Hugely engrossing...the writing is brilliant...gorgeous.' --Evening Standard

`The perfect gift for the scent addict in your life...witty and informative - and, occasionally, deliciously bitchy' --The Times

`Brilliant writing... I shall now spray on my favourite scents in quite a different frame of mind!' --Joanna Trollope

`Lyrical and acerbically witty compendium.' --The Times

`From riotous one-liners to elaborate reviews, fragrance experts Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez have written an authoritative guide to the best and worst scents.'
    --Daily Express

`consistently entertaining... scathingly inventive bitchiness.' --Sunday Business Post

'I can't recommend it enough.' --Elle

'a staggeringly complete compilation of perfume reviews...ridiculously entertaining.' --Daily Mail

'dazzlingly comprehensive compendium...the writing is the olfactory equivalent of mouthwatering.' --Observer

'genuinely wonderful... the authors's sense of smell is amazing' --Daily Telegraph

'astonishingly brilliant and witty companion to all things fragrant.' --Spectator

'I was fascinated... a description of every perfume known to man, which sounds peculiar, but is mesmeric.' --Evening Standard Books of the year

`It's scents-sational!' --Rochelle Warner, Fabulous

`A wise investment and an addictive read.' --Gillian Nelis, Sunday Business Post

`Evocative and vivid... If you have a nose for a good book, buy this one.' --Anita Sethi, Independent on Sunday

`They're funny, bizarre, weird, hilarious writers.' --Alex Heminsley, BBC Radio 2 Claudia Winkleman
    Review
    `Far more addictive than it has any right to be' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
    Might make a great Christmas pressie for the girl in your life, or, er - no don't go there Owly
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 2 August 2013, 11:54.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I love the smell of my sweaty nutsack, I wonder if I could bottle that and sell it.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Creed Silver Mountain Water

And Jo Malone 154

Comment

Joan Collins Snatch
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Arome des chaussures de vélo de MTT

The cat seems to like it.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Chanel No 5.

V unimaginative.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

That's a great book OH. It's one of the most thumbed manuals on my bookshelf.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh, Estée Lauder Private Collection (an early '90's vintage - don't let cretins tell you that perfumes 'go off', put them in a cool cupboard away from daylight and they'll last years).
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I like polo. Only because I get a guaranteed sh4g whenever I wear it. I wore it on our first date.

Comment

...with Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles and Roja Dove Innuendo as my modern classics.

Comment

Working...
                    X