• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % of your turnover goes on training ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % of your turnover goes on training ?

What % of your turnover goes on training for new skills, maintaining existing, including books, etc.

The impression I get is that contractors under-invest in their primary asset-their skills.
    Usually zero
    52.38%
    0-1%
    19.05%
    1.000001 to 2%
    4.76%
    2.000001 to 5%
    14.29%
    More then 5%
    4.76%
    AndyW's mum trains me in her cellar tastefully decorated in 50 shades of grey
    4.76%
    My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

About 1% for me this year - often less than that. But then, I have a huge turnover. The trouble is, I've either done all the courses relevant to my skillset, or I've already got the skill through working it out for myself.

The 1% this year was a workshop for some new technology that I'll be working with later in the year.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Virtually 0. But I never paid to get my skills as a permie, and nor did anyone else - I've always learned by doing. A project has some side work in new tech X so I take it on and learn a bit about X.

Actually I do spend freely on books when I need them, On the basis that spending an hour looking at books to choose one, I could have just bought 3 and done some work for the same net cost.

edit: would a mod add a poll?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The problem with training courses isn't just the cost of the course - it's the lost billing days too.
        Thinking I might see what's around at the end of this gig - haven't done a formal course for years.

Comment

I would like to do the CQF (Dominic's course) Certificate in Quantitative Finance (CQF) - Mathematical Finance Qualification | CQF

But it's too damn expensive at over 10k sterling ..

I'm paying a maths PhD to teach me the same stuff at a much lower cost

The certificate itself is not recognised anywhere, especially outside of the UK

Dominic, why not make it 5k? Its largely self study anyway

Comment

0%. Books are a waste of time compared to all the free (and more up to date) information available online, and training courses are only for the gullible, unless very specific.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Books may get out of date but there's a big difference (to me) between reading and figuring out the official documentation from MS, and reading a book which has done the figuring out part for me. It's a bit like at university - you could skip all your lectures and learn from the textbooks but it's not generally as easy.

Plus I have no interest in keep right on the bleeding edge; I'd distrust any company who wants to do a project in tech so new there aren't any books on it. And staying up to speed is a full-time job, I'd rather get good at a tech and use it
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

edit: would a mod add a poll?
                Done.

0%. Books are a waste of time
                You've read a book?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Probably spent €10k on software over the last year.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                    I'm paying a maths PhD to teach me the same stuff at a much lower cost
                    Must be expensive, what with the special needs supplement.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X