• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ipcress, Funeral in Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipcress, Funeral in Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain.

First film, The Ipcress File, stands up rather well, despite being nearly 50 years old.

Funeral in Berlin isn't so good, but is quite watchable.

Billion Dollar Brain is mostly notable for its incomprehensible plot (I'm sure there's bits missing) and the extensive use of Honeywell computery.

The Billion Dollar Brain was part of a triple DVD pack I purchased in the Oxfam shoppe or emporium in Swansea.

The other two films are "Our Man Flint", which didn't exactly live up to my 40 odd year old memory of same, and "In like Flint" which is the 2nd in the series & thankfully I believe it to be the last.

Unbelievably nonPC.

Dunno if anyone else has seen the two Harry Palmer films from the 90s?

Not exactly wonderful, but they occupied an otherwise even more tedious several hours.

Well, there's a turnup for the book, "In Like Flint" was rather more enjoyable than "Our Man Flint".

Not vastly so, but definitely better.

Glad they never made a third one though.

One very slightly interesting note: Donald Sutherland and Susan George were in "Billion Dollar Brain" according to the credits, though if you blinked you missed them.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 31 May 2017, 08:36.

I watched the Ipcress File recently and found it better than I remembered.

Given your review I might skip the Billion Dollar Brain.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I remember enjoying Billion Dollar Brain when I first saw it, but I was probably about twelve at the time. Might hunt it down and watch it again when I next own a TV

Comment

I liked A Funeral in Berlin because I love Berlin (Kino Kant) and it showed post war Berlin very well, and featured Templehof Airport and a 1959 Cadillac Convertible, the car of cars, if Biarritz and Pink, tho the one in the film was brown and just the bobby basic..

Ich Bin Ein Doughnut!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I liked A Funeral in Berlin because I love Berlin (Kino Kant) and it showed post war Berlin very well, and featured Templehof Airport and a 1959 Cadillac Convertible, the car of cars, if Biarritz and Pink, tho the one in the film was brown and just the bobby basic..

Ich Bin Ein Doughnut!
          And Des Schwartes Cafe on err, Kantstrasse? Love that place and the Zwiebelfisch or whatever opposite-ish, was it a bit lesbo? Need to go back....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Billion Dollar Brain is mostly notable for its incomprehensible plot (I'm sure there's bits missing) and the extensive use of Honeywell computery.
            Billion Dollar Brain is completely berserk - Definitely a case of jumping the shark, plotwise.

Another good(ish) espionage film starring Michael Caine (and Laurence Olivier) is The Jigsaw Man (1984). Wasn't one of the Harry Palmer series though.

edit: Ooh, clicking around a few times in IMDB I see they're making another film called 1066. Sounds promising. (It's not the low-key Battle for Middle Earth one that was made a couple of years ago, although that was pretty good too in its way)
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 August 2013, 08:30.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I know I have seen the The Ipcress File but can't remember any of it, even though I was not born then does that mean I enjoyed the 60s?

I suppose these days spying is all about running a grep on a DB dump file knicked from twitter.

Comment

I was under the impression that the “The Billion Dollar Brain” never came out on DVD, if it did your disks are worth quite a bit.

The Billion Dollar Brain should have been made in 70mm Panavision,
                35mm spoilt many scenes
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I fear your impression is incorrect.

Aside from this remarkable triple DVD collection, I've seen it as a single DVD.
                  Is there a Lego version?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Was there one that centred around a watch shop in East Germany?

Or was that Richard Burton.

Comment

Working...
                    X