• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toilet Bugs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet Bugs

A luxury toilet controlled by a smartphone app is vulnerable to attack, according to security experts.

The toilet uses bluetooth to receive instructions via the app, but the Pin code for every model is hardwired to be four zeros (0000), meaning that it cannot be reset and can be activated by any phone with the My Satis app, a report by Trustwave's Spiderlabs information security experts reveals.

"An attacker could simply download the My Satis application and use it to cause the toilet to repeatedly flush, raising the water usage and therefore utility cost to its owner," it says in its report.

"Attackers could [also] cause the unit to unexpectedly open/close the lid, activate bidet or air-dry functions, causing discomfort or distress to [the] user."

BBC News - Luxury toilet users warned of hardware flaw
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Which of our posters is a tulip coder in more ways than one?

Comment

Fairly typical "oh tulip, we didn't think about security" approach used by many projects.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can't they just download an upgrade to the porcelain portal?

Comment

Are there really hordes of nefarious technoscrotes with smartphones roaming the streets scanning the wi fi networks for superloos they can hack into? Are there hidden bulletin boards on the dark net that list such loos that are open to attack?

I'd be more worried about the kids outside the bog door sniggering to themselves whilst they activate the flush as I sit enjoying a good dump and the latest copy of Big Jugs Weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
            Are there really hordes of nefarious technoscrotes with smartphones roaming the streets scanning the wi fi networks for superloos they can hack into? Are there hidden bulletin boards on the dark net that list such loos that are open to attack?

I'd be more worried about the kids outside the bog door sniggering to themselves whilst they activate the flush as I sit enjoying a good dump and the latest copy of Big Jugs Weekly.
            Playing with Bluetooth passes the time on the train.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Playing with Bluetooth passes the time on the train.
              You are not going to find many luxury toilets on a train.

Comment

Just one example of many soon. You can already control your Sky TV by smart phone. Manufacturers are working on smart appliances, washing machines, cookers etc that can be similarly controlled. Smart meters allow two way communications between your household electrics supply and the suppliers. There have been warning that mundane things like traffic lights could be controlled by terrorist cyber attacks.

Only a matter of time before somebody gets home and is murdered by his dishwasher.

Playing with Bluetooth passes the time on the train
                Hmmm. Heard of that one, bit of toothing, meet up in the loo.

PS Or all world smart dishwashers etc link together and develop pooled intelligence. The real Terminator.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 5 August 2013, 16:53.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS Or all world smart dishwashers etc link together and develop pooled intelligence. The real Terminator.
                  Ah, but in Terminator, the machines had thermonuclear weapons at their disposal. I'm not going to worry too much about a sudden rinse aid attack.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                    I'm not going to worry too much about a sudden rinse aid attack.
                    But what about globally coordinated mass food poisoning? You would make your way to the hospital through vomit flooded streets only to find all of the doctors queueing for the bog. Then you'd be worried.

Forget beans. I am going to start stockpiling loo roll for the apocalypse.
                    Last edited by doodab; 5 August 2013, 21:48.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X