• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whatever happened to ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever happened to ....

... UML?

I remember when almost every job advert had "Must be proficient in UML".

It was everywhere. Nothing could be done without stick men, activity diagrams, class diagrams, use cases written in nth detail.

Then, one day, it just vanished....

With AGILE no one needs to draw complex diagrams that have special names for the parts.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      With AGILE no one needs to draw complex diagrams that have special names for the parts.
      Oh I don't know, I once did an Agile project which included UML, pair programming, waterfall, scrums, AOA (any other acronym). I just ignored it all and was the only one on time...In fact the only project I've ever done with a PM, waste of time they are...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        ... UML?

It was everywhere. Nothing could be done without stick men, activity diagrams, class diagrams, use cases written in nth detail.

All UML did was to give gainful employment to UML consultants and trainers. I think they've all moved to "Big Data" now and are too busy blogging about it on linkedin to bother with UML
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Use Case with a Stereotype of Business Process = User Story = Navigation Flow
          Use case with a Stereotype of System = System PBI = Function
          Package of the above = MMF = Module

Nothing much changes, just the terminology.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            ... UML?

I was only telling someone earlier today how in my 17 years in the trade i'd avoided it for 15.5. Now I use it quite a bit
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Oh I don't know, I once did an Agile project which included UML, pair programming, waterfall, scrums, AOA (any other acronym). I just ignored it all and was the only one on time...In fact the only project I've ever done with a PM, waste of time they are...
              +1.

UML is great but it needs to come Threaded's time machine. It's not for the real world.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                Use Case with a Stereotype of Business Process = User Story = Navigation Flow
                Use case with a Stereotype of System = System PBI = Function
                Package of the above = MMF = Module

Nothing much changes, just the terminology.
                Ok draw me a state diagram in BPMN 2.0

Horses for courses.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

UML is still in use all the time. However of the 14 (or whatever) diagram types, probably about 3 are actually useful.

Sequence diagrams actually show you something useful for instance. And ERDs are very useful for DB modeling, though I don't recall if they are technically UML.

Roughly speaking, the more a UML looks like a normal diagram you might draw if you don't know UML, the better it is. The moment you start getting carried away which type of arrow-head to use, you're wasting time.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    UML is still in use all the time. However of the 14 (or whatever) diagram types, probably about 3 are actually useful.

Sequence diagrams actually show you something useful for instance. And ERDs are very useful for DB modeling, though I don't recall if they are technically UML.

Roughly speaking, the more a UML looks like a normal diagram you might draw if you don't know UML, the better it is. The moment you start getting carried away which type of arrow-head to use, you're wasting time.
                    WHS. BEML is far more universal than UML ever was.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X