• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walking away from an extension offer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking away from an extension offer

Hi there, have you ever walked away from an extension offer?

I took up a 3-month contract job at a discounted rate as I had been out of work for a while. Now they are offering a 3-month extension but on the same discounted terms. The discount is half of the rate I have been paid in the last ten years.

What's a contractor to do? I have a good war chest so don't 'need' the money. But obviously a job beats dole, well, usually.

Do you lie to agents you have a counter-offer to force their hand to improve their offer?

Have you walked away from a 'final offer' claim only to be contacted a week later with a revised deal?

This contract is in the financial industry and the end client makes a healthy profit.
    Last edited by masonryan; 6 August 2013, 19:27.

Just read three of your posts in succession.... Just going to find a wall to bang my head on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Just read three of your posts in succession.... Just going to find a wall to bang my head on.
      good, don't stop

Comment

Yes, I walked away from an extension on my last contract. The project was reaching its end and the client was expecting me to move into BAU.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Yes, I walked away from an extension on my last contract. The project was reaching its end and the client was expecting me to move into BAU.
          That's kinda similar to my situation. This 3 month extension leads to the end of this particular project.

Furthermore they insist on me having to give 4 weeks notice while they give me just 1. So I fear I could sign up and when they feel like it they get rid of me in a week when the work dries up. They have tried to keep me onboard by stating there is a perm job going in BAU after it but I fear that will be a very poor offer and this company doesn't give payrises at or over inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
            good, don't stop
            I can't reply to any of your posts are there is just so much fundamentally wrong with them all. Take time to have a think about each of the parts of your post. Much of what you are missing is just common sense.

For a start what you earned 10 years ago has absolutely squat to do with rates now. The big money days of contracting are gone and if you haven't noticed we are being overrun by bobs. You are supposed to be in business and have some grasp of your market. If you are unsure of what you are worth or what the market is paying camp on jobserve for a bit.

You think lying to an agent is the way to go? Have you never negotiated anything in your life? A car, phone contract? House purchase? There are two people in the situation both after something. Negotiate. If you don't like it you walk. Remember this is an agents job. They can spot a bulltulipter a mile away. Negotiate the rate you want and be prepared to leave it. He will smell a newbie a mile off and play you like a fiddle. Be prepared to walk if you want to get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You think lying to an agent is the way to go? Have you never negotiated anything in your life? A car, phone contract? House purchase? There are two people in the situation both after something. Negotiate. If you don't like it you walk.
              They lied to me already. They claimed the rate could not be improved at all. But actually, in the paperwork for the extension it was higher by £25/day. I queried this and she agent was surprised with it. So then she said oh yeah checked with end client and it was an error but they will honour it. Then I said, well you said rates couldn't move at all as that was the company policy, so she clearly lied.

In another incident they put 8 hours a day in the contract when I had done 7.5 on previous contract. I said no, I do 7.5. She said sorry can't change 8 it's in all the contracts so tough. So I said no I do 7.5. Today she come back and say oh you can do 7.5. That was another lie.

Comment

They lied to me already. They claimed the rate could not be improved at all. But actually, in the paperwork for the extension it was higher by £25/day. I queried this and she agent was surprised with it. So then she said oh yeah checked with end client and it was an error but they will honour it. Then I said, well you said rates couldn't move at all as that was the company policy, so she clearly lied.

In another incident they put 8 hours a day in the contract when I had done 7.5 on previous contract. I said no, I do 7.5. She said sorry can't change 8 it's in all the contracts so tough. So I said no I do 7.5. Today she come back and say oh you can do 7.5. That was another lie.
                That's negotiating, not lying.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  That's negotiating, not lying.
                  No it was a lie since she said these things could not be changed at all as they were standard in all contracts and immovable.

Comment

It's what agents do, they have a shocking reputation for it. Read the 2 references thread. If you want to stoop to their level then go for it. So you have got a £25 a day rate increase? Where is your problem? Your three threads don't seem to indicate that to be the situation.

I don't see either of these as lies tbh. Incompetance and some dumb sales chick rather than an agent. You could even call it business, refusal to move, smoke and mirrors. The second one most certainly isn't a lie. It's called negotiation. Just because you make them change their stance it doesn't mean they are always lying.

Are you sure you are cut out for this?

Comment

Working...
                    X