• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to keep regular self employed subcontractors as self employed and not PAYE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep regular self employed subcontractors as self employed and not PAYE?

I have a team of great subcontractors working for me premanently but I understand I should operate PAYE for them and not CIS as they are classed full time workers. Is there anyway I can keep them as my subbies as self employed? Can I use an umbrella company to keep things this way?

Originally posted by kentcontractor View Post
    I have a team of great subcontractors working for me premanently but I understand I should operate PAYE for them and not CIS as they are classed full time workers. Is there anyway I can keep them as my subbies as self employed? Can I use an umbrella company to keep things this way?
    I doubt anyone on here can help you. The people here are mainly freelance IT and Business Consultants rather than Building contractors.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This will confirm whether or not you should be operating a CIS scheme: HM Revenue & Customs: Are you a contractor or subcontractor under CIS?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by kentcontractor View Post
        There's nothing stopping you from continuing as you are, but if the subcontractors work for you permanently then it is likely that HMRC would view them as workers or employees (the two are not the same). If this was the case you would be liable for PAYE & NI deductions on their pay.

To err on the side of caution, make them your employees. If you continue as you are, make sure they are paying their taxes!!

Comment

HMRC Status Enquiry

I would recommend you get the subcontractors to invoice you some element for materials supplied each month which is shown seperately on their invoices (that's if they do one for you?). Small items for materials can include for example screws, sealant, staples, nails, tape, paint etc.

If no invoices issued then prepare them yourself each month to match their payment and get them to sign as approved. This will help on any status enquiry from HMRC. May also help if they use a trading name rather than their own names and use their own tools.

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
            I would recommend you get the subcontractors to invoice you some element for materials supplied each month which is shown seperately on their invoices (that's if they do one for you?). Small items for materials can include for example screws, sealant, staples, nails, tape, paint etc.

If no invoices issued then prepare them yourself each month to match their payment and get them to sign as approved. This will help on any status enquiry from HMRC. May also help if they use a trading name rather than their own names and use their own tools.
            Wouldn't those costs then be classed as expenses which presumably would have a tax benefit?
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Wouldn't those costs then be classed as expenses which presumably would have a tax benefit?
              tax benefit for who? the subcontractors would have these costs shown in their self-employed accounts and would just merely show them as costs on their invoice to the client. The fact that you are invoicing for materials is a tick in the right box for self-employment status.

Comment

Working...
              X