• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming for losses after car accident query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for losses after car accident query

I am LTD Co, only director & employee.

My car was off the road for 2 weeks due to car accident not my fault. I missed ½ days work plus been asked to leave early to collect my repaired car. Overall i feel loss of company income is almost full day.

Company said i need to submit letter from accountant for loss, plus maybe need to submit accounts, dividend summary etc.

Anyone else had experience of claiming losses for Ltd co? Is it worth it or just lots of hassle from insurers trying to understand Ltd co workers?

any feedback welcome

When my (now ex) wife was involved in a car accident I had to take a day off work to look after her. Well actually I transfered a days pay from a weekday to a weekend.

Anyway I just asked them for a days money and they paid it. This was 1999. Clearly times have changed.

Comment

this is part of the letter i was sent my the accident claims company contracted by my insurer:
      We refer to the above incident and note that you wish to pursue a claim for loss of earnings.
      In order to consider your claim, the third party insurers will require confirmation of the dates and times that you were unable to attend work, along with the reasons why. They will also require documentary evidence to prove you have suffered a financial loss.

If you are employed, please obtain written confirmation from your employer to show the net loss of earnings suffered as a result of this accident. This should show the exact dates that you did not attend work and how the loss has been calculated. You should also ask your employer to provide written details of your earnings for the 13-weeks prior to the incident, to provide a comparison.

If you are self-employed, we will also require confirmation of the exact dates that you were unable to attend work, along with confirmation of how the loss has been calculated. We also suggest you forward a copy of your self-assessment form, showing your annual earnings. If Tax or National Insurance contributions are paid in advance of the submission of your forms, please forward evidence of this (copy Direct Debit mandates etc).

If you were unable to complete a contract (or contracts) as result of this accident, we suggest you also forward a letter from the company or person(s) to whom you were contracted, confirming that you were unable to fulfill your obligations and that the work could not deferred to a later date.

Please be aware that any fees requested by your employer or accountant to provide any of the above information may not be recoverable. In these circumstances, we would recommend that you submit as much information as you are able to without incurring a fee for the third party insurer’s consideration, and only obtain any additional evidence if the third party insurers require it.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
        If you were unable to complete a contract (or contracts) as result of this accident, we suggest you also forward a letter from the company or person(s) to whom you were contracted, confirming that you were unable to fulfill your obligations and that the work could not deferred to a later date...
        This may be the killer.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Flippin heck. Lots of hassle for that.

Not quite sure which category we'd come under. Can hardly see the agency being interested in confirming you lost a days work?

MAybe they's want their cut for the day then as well lol
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            This may be the killer.
            But how many contracts would allow you to take a day off in the middle and then they'd add a day onto the end?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Flippin heck. Lots of hassle for that.
              Indeed, lots of hassle which will cost hours and money, for what? One day?

Come on, little bits of tulip happen and it's best just to get on with it and be glad it wasn't a big pile of tulip that happened.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

But how many contracts would allow you to take a day off in the middle and then they'd add a day onto the end?
                Most would allow you to make up the two half lost days by working early/late or a weekend day. If they didn't I'd be worried about D&C.

Comment

^ This

Get the accountant to write you a letter that states you have a 60 day contract from date A to final Date B giving the contract a net worth of XXXX. This idiots actions prevented you from taking X days of that money due to handling this claim and the crash.

It is not deferrable to the end of the contract and as such is lost income then send them a bill for those days + the disbursements that your accountant will ask for in order to write the letter. Make a point that failure to pay will involve you employing a claims handling company and getting legal then wait for the cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Indeed, lots of hassle which will cost hours and money, for what? One day?

Come on, little bits of tulip happen and it's best just to get on with it and be glad it wasn't a big pile of tulip that happened.
                    WHS

Comment

Working...
                    X