• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you a geek?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a geek?

Just had this asked in an interview.

It was a kind of fun question that was put to me after all the serious stuff was done but I'm afraid I just couldn't bring myself to give the correct answer of yes.

I did, of course, qualify this by pointing out that as much as I'd like to spend all my spare time going bleary eyed learning the latest soon-to-be-redundant Microsoft technology
    I do actually have plenty of other interests in life that kept me busy in my spare time.

Right answer or wrong answer?

Depends on the role, I have found I get a lot of extensions because I am not a geek, I like sport, music, dining out as a opposed to free form role-play and online-gaming. A lot of clients like non-geeks as may be a better "cultural fit".

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post

It was a kind of fun question that was put to me after all the serious stuff was done but I'm afraid I just couldn't bring myself to give the correct answer of yes.

I did, of course, qualify this by pointing out that as much as I'd like to spend all my spare time going bleary eyed learning the latest soon-to-be-redundant Microsoft technology
      I do actually have plenty of other interests in life that kept me busy in my spare time.

Right answer or wrong answer?
      Depends if you went off on a tangent about some of those other interests that you are actually passionate about or not.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Absolutely.

Not ashamed to admit it - that's who I am.

Geek but no nerd.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm sure they were fascinated by your obsession with lawnmowers, service station fruit machines and largely creepy online personas.

Or maybe not.

Comment

I am but I hide it well. except maybe on here.

Blessed are the real geeks for they never have to do a day of work in their lives.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Geek - Yes, without a doubt. It shows a passion about the latest technology, a useful skill in business.

Nerd - No, it shows an unhealthy passion in obsessive bits of technology that are rarely used, with connotations of no social skills whatsoever and an unhealthy hygiene stigma
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                Depends on the role, I have found I get a lot of extensions because I am not a geek, I like sport, music, dining out as a opposed to free form role-play and online-gaming. A lot of clients like non-geeks as may be a better "cultural fit".
                Yes, that's what I thought. Though I'm normally quite guarded in revealing what my hobbies and interests actually are as they may give the impression that I'm likely to be out on the road for many days at a time.

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought. Though I'm normally quite guarded in revealing what my hobbies and interests actually are as they may give the impression that I'm likely to be out on the road for many days at a time.
                  Those are some powerful shrooms!
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The correct answer is: "No, I am not a Greek. And I have excellent hearing."
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X