• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation ?: British Gas raises energy prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation ?: British Gas raises energy prices

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5219382.stm

"British Gas owner Centrica has said it plans to raise gas bills by 12.4% for its 10.7 million customers.
    The firm's electricity customers will also face a 9.4% increase in their bills from September
    "

"Earlier this week, rival EDF Energy announced it would be raising gas bills by 19% from next Tuesday, while Scottish Power said two weeks ago that it would also be increasing bills.

British Gas increased prices by 22% in March, but since then the cost of wholesale gas has risen by 30%.

"

Milan.

Lucky Gordo ignores these increases in his numbers eh?

Mailman

Comment

Boll0x

Well we have had 100% increase in utilities and nearly that for council tax over the past 3 years, transport prob about the same.

So htf can inflation be at the historic low levels that it is?

Dont you think its about time they reviewed the inflation formula to include more than bread and milk and a copy of the guardian
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Doublethink!
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I wonder what infaltion would be if it included house price inflation?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
            So htf can inflation be at the historic low levels that it is?
            Because IPods and LCD TVs are getting cheaper: inflation formulae is a basket of prices, naturally rigged to make it easier for Govt to nominally hit the target because otherwise public spending increases will blow any budget out of the water and taxes would have to raise - so say thanks to Gordon for this trick because prices would have increased anyway, but you'd have to pay more taxes.

Comment

Well, by getting the BoE to control interest rates and to reshape the inflation basket so that it's weighted towards cheap, imported high tech goods, this current administration can proclaim it's the best ever times for UK plc and all her shareholders.

Just don't restrict immigration otherwise house price wealth will quickly diminish and the electorate will wake up.

However, tampering with inflation indicators while the economy (and personal wealth) is quickly becoming insolvent is a very dangerous thing: so many people will have their fingers burnt as they believe that house prices are the new wealth.

Oh dear oh dear...

For those that have credit card debt and have remortgaged to support their livestyles have only themselves to blame for the demise that they are about to encounter.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                However, tampering with inflation indicators while the economy (and personal wealth) is quickly becoming insolvent is a very dangerous thing: so many people will have their fingers burnt as they believe that house prices are the new wealth.
                But otherwise he won't become a PM, surely its well worth to fk up country for a couple of decades, but to realise your childhood dream? Almost anyone in his position would do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  But otherwise he won't become a PM, surely its well worth to fk up country for a couple of decades, but to realise your childhood dream? Almost anyone in his position would do the same.
                  I don't think bliar had a childhood dream to be PM. Like his money-grabbing wife, they're hypocritical opportunists saying one thing and doing the complete opposite, that think only of themselves and every decision they make follows their golden rule: does it enable us to hold on to our power?

So politicians may naively decide "to change the world" when they start, but alot of them end up indulging in the delectable, silken caress of corruption by thinking "me me me" instead of what is morally right for society.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    I don't think bliar had a childhood dream to be PM.
                    I am talking about Brown - it is him not Blair who gets this country into debt. IMO Blair is (or was more like it) much more PM material than Brown, but Brown just wants it real bad - it must have been some kind of dream for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X