• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I always knew we were right....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always knew we were right....

How many times have we said on here "if it looks too good to be true then it very probably is" - confirmed by those nice people at HMRC HM Revenue & Customs: Tempted by Tax Avoidance?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Ah, so just in case there was every any doubt.....
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

That's a useful link, it's a shame barely anybody will notice it buried on their website!

They should look at better ways of spreading awareness for this sort of thing. A simple information sheet with the many paper tax returns they send out each year would help them massively.

I'm also not convinced that HMRC are 'very successful at tackling tax avoidance.' The last I read, the enquiries are often succesful but HMRC are struggling to collect the tax.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        How many times have we said on here "if it looks too good to be true then it very probably is" - confirmed by those nice people at HMRC HM Revenue & Customs: Tempted by Tax Avoidance?
        <saves for future reference...>
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          It's a really good piece, as Cojak says, one to cut out and keep. They still persist in spreading confusion over the definition of "tax avoidance" which is muddying the waters though.

Probably the easiest test for these schemes is to ask what percentage of the workers earnings go to HMRC. If the scheme promoter is making more out of it than HMRC is then it's going to be a bit dodgy...
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

So the tax man are saying that ways to avoid paying tax should be avoided?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I am deeply saddened by the posts on this thread and by the HMRC post.

Avoidance is Legal.

No-one should enter into tax evasion.

FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                That's a useful link, it's a shame barely anybody will notice it buried on their website!
                Because it is total bollux.

How do I complain about it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Because it is total bollux.

How do I complain about it?
                  Seems perfectly reasonable to me, as guidance. It's quite clear that they're talking about "schemes" rather than ordinary tax planning. I feel sorry for people that were caught up in these schemes, but they might've known they were treading on very thin ice, any questions of legality aside. You'd hardly expect HMRC to offer different guidance, and I agree with the other posters that suggest it should be more visible as a counter to the propaganda from scheme operators.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Seems perfectly reasonable to me, as guidance. It's quite clear that they're talking about "schemes" rather than ordinary tax planning. I feel sorry for people that were caught up in these schemes, but they might've known they were treading on very thin ice, any questions of legality aside. You'd hardly expect HMRC to offer different guidance, and I agree with the other posters that suggest it should be more visible as a counter to the propaganda from scheme operators.
                    total bollux.

"treading on very thin ice, any questions of legality aside." WTF? The only thing that matters here is legality. Avoidance is legal, evasion illegal.

If HMRC want to counter schemes then they should try simplyfying the tax code.

You refer to schems rather than ordinary tax planning. But it seems that mostly big companies and the rich can pay zero tax while those who are not friends with a MP pay through the nose.

Comment

Working...
                    X