• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Average spend in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average spend in London

The boss of a solutions architect i used to work for is head hunting me and dangling a carrot. Just wondered what the average spend is in london on digs(for 4 nights), food, travel? THen i can work out if the carrot is big enough for me to move as i dont know as yet if i will be renewed.

Thing is my son is 15 months old and that might come in to the equation. At the moment i travel about 30 minutes in car and my rate is above average having been contracting for 9 years with no breaks.

Tricky choices...

Originally posted by Wesdev View Post
    The boss of a solutions architect i used to work for is head hunting me and dangling a carrot. Just wondered what the average spend is in london on digs(for 4 nights), food, travel? THen i can work out if the carrot is big enough for me to move as i dont know as yet if i will be renewed.
    How do you expect a bunch of randoms on here to know what you will spend?

What kind of accommodation are you after - you can sleep in the gutter for free, or you can stay in a suite at the Ritz for £1k a night.

Where are you travelling from? How are you travelling? Megabus can do it for a pound, or you can get a private jet for a few k.

What do you want to eat? Do McDonalds still do a 99p menu?

For goodness sake, do some actual research yourself.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      How do you expect a bunch of randoms on here to know what you will spend?

What kind of accommodation are you after - you can sleep in the gutter for free, or you can stay in a suite at the Ritz for £1k a night.

Where are you travelling from? How are you travelling? Megabus can do it for a pound, or you can get a private jet for a few k.

What do you want to eat? Do McDonalds still do a 99p menu?

For goodness sake, do some actual research yourself.
      What car should his wife buy? Honda Accord?

Comment

A decent one bed will be around £300pw in rent and a 1-4 oyster card is £180pcm.

Comment

Post the name and phone number of your boss and we will tell you.

Comment

<Checks Forum, shrugs.>

Son, you're on your own....
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But if you want to pick numbers out of thin air....

Digs can go as low as £35 if you choose a hostel around one of the train stations.

£5 - £8 for an M&S tea.

Travel - lord knows. From where to where????
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                A decent one bed will be around £300pw in rent and a 1-4 oyster card is £180pcm.
                A pint is £5, a sandwich £3-4 and a coffee £2.50-3
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Wesdev View Post

Thing is my son is 15 months old and that might come in to the equation. At the moment i travel about 30 minutes in car and my rate is above average having been contracting for 9 years with no breaks.

Tricky choices...
                  You need to budget a minimum of £100 per night into your rate, doing it on less is a killer.
                  Consider that most London clients will happily fork out £300+ pn for permies coming from remote offices.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

An ok single room in an ok hotel will cost you between £50 and £80 depending on how far in advance you book. Travel on top. Then food, depending on whether or not you want to eat out or buy food from a supermarket. (Remember, pre-made up food can't be claimed for expenses, stupid as it may seem).

Comment

Working...
                    X