• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Summons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Summons

Anybody been called up whilst contracting? What have you done about addressing the shortfall in daily rate v maximum daily allowance of £56?

Not an issue for a few days, but if it goes on for months, (I know they rarely do but you never know), I shall have to send the kids down the mines.

Originally posted by djfoot
    Anybody been called up whilst contracting? What have you done about addressing the shortfall in daily rate v maximum daily allowance of £56?

Not an issue for a few days, but if it goes on for months, (I know they rarely do but you never know), I shall have to send the kids down the mines.
    You can get insurance for it - The PCGPlus membership gives you it I think. It may not cover your fully daily rate though and you can only claim for a max number of days.

Edit: PCGPlus covers for £300 per day for upto 10 days
    Last edited by Pondlife; 28 July 2006, 08:40. Reason: Found it

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
      You can get insurance for it - The PCGPlus membership gives you it I think. It may not cover your fully daily rate though and you can only claim for a max number of days.

Edit: PCGPlus covers for £300 per day for upto 10 days
      Nice one. I'll take a look, but I would've thought that they'd only cover you before you were summonsed...

Edit: Just checked....policy would needed to have been taken out before the summons was issued. Thanks for the heads up though...
      Last edited by djfoot; 28 July 2006, 08:50.

Comment

Nice one. I'll take a look, but I would've thought that they'd only cover you before you were summonsed...

Oh! Bit late then. Time to start acting sexist, racist and generally subversive. Or alternatively you have to get yourself a criminal record PDQ.

HTH

Comment

Do you civil duty and stop whining - there is a price to pay for living in a civil society where it is the people who decide whether defendant is guilty or not.

Comment

I got called up for jury service.
            I wrote asking to be excused on the grounds that I was self-employed and would suffer financial hardship through not being paid. I also said that my contract was due for renewal which may well not have happened if I was absent for two or more weeks.
            They wrote back saying I did not have to attend.
            I heard you can only do that once though, but I haven't been selected again since so don't know for sure.
            Boom boom boom boom
            A-haw haw haw haw
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Do you civil duty and stop whining - there is a price to pay for living in a civil society where it is the people who decide whether defendant is guilty or not.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Isn't is just easier to shoot them?

Wasn't whining...I want to do it and see it as an important civil duty to ensure justice is done....it's just a shame that sentences are all too regularly way too lenient (BTW - I'm not assumming that the defendant is guilty just yet, but give me a couple of minutes in the courtroom and I'll make my decision then...).

Comment

A derisory amount for jurors while barristers will get £300 to £600 per hour and a £50 lunch is a throw back from the days when the gentry ran the Courts. A hundred guineas for me and a nice shiny penny for you for, a juror. Even witnesses get more than jurors.
                  HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

That's an idea. Let the jury set the sentences. Much more fun.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X