• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't kid yourself.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't kid yourself.

I am appalled at the hubris, short-sight, and self-centredness of some contractors.

I mean those who say they deserve what they get because they work hard, those people who call 9 hours in an office with free coffee "working hard".
    Those who think that 2-4 times the average wage must be a sign that they are valuable people, instead of realising that they're just lucky.
    Who are so self-centred that they think that their high income must be well-deserved, while even other contractors like them, with as much ability and experience, are out for long periods just because of the luck of the hot skillsets.
    Who think they're a business just because the Revenue won´t let them work as the self-employed temp that they are, but instead drove them to get a Ltd Co and an accountant: hey, I´m a business!
    Who think they deserve high income and tax breaks baecause of the "risk" of contracting. It looks much like the risk of working to me, only with a high chance of staying in well-paid work, compared to most workers' chances.

Well, I'm prepared to admit it. I've just been lucky. If I weren't in IT, whether a contractor or not, then I don't know what I'd be doing, but I don't think I'd be running a successful business, be a well-paid "consultant", or otherwise be coining it.

I know people who are as educated as me, who work harder than me, in jobs that their employer couldn't do without; but who make 15k or 20k a year, because that's what the job pays, because there are plenty of other people willing to take the job for that. That's normal. What is abnormal is the huge pay for what I do, and that is due only to the apparent rarity of my skills, which itself is due to the entry barrier of training and experience. Foolish and short-sighted managers would rather pay high prices for ready-made programmers, and by good luck I fell into a position to exploit that. It´s more like picking a lucky winner than it is being hard-working and deserving.

I'll take the money. But I won't kid myself that I've worked hard for all I've got, and I deserve it all and more, and any taxes are an attempt to rob me of my just riches. And I won't let you lot kid me either.

Expat,

I think you need to go home and lie down.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      Expat,

Milan.
      Yeah, I've been working too hard.

Comment

what did you decide on in the end ?

Moving to the UK, permiedom, renting a place, buying a place ?

As I suggested before, don't rush into any of those decisions.

If you are finding yourself on your own, I would imagine although _home_ in the UK might look attractive, it wouldn't be long before the drudgery got you down and an alternative might be to go to another overseas destination while getting your business in order - just a few thoughts.

Milan.

Comment

Expat,

Milan.
          Never mind the lying down, a good session of self-flagellation might be in order his angst has reached such proportions. Is it National Rant Day?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Expat!...FFS................I just think you need to get laid!

Comment

what did you decide on in the end ?

Moving to the UK, permiedom, renting a place, buying a place ?

As I suggested before, don't rush into any of those decisions.

If you are finding yourself on your own, I would imagine although _home_ in the UK might look attractive, it wouldn't be long before the drudgery got you down and an alternative might be to go to another overseas destination while getting your business in order - just a few thoughts.

Milan.
              Move to UK to live with partner: location is fixed by her daughter going into 6th form. Keep contracting. Renting for the moment. Will probably hold off buying for long enought that it won´t make sense to buy in that location any more, so will rethink plans for 2 years hence.

As you said, that time spent accumulating and reflecting, will not do any harm

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                Expat!...FFS................I just think you need to get laid!
                Going home tonight..... but really, I need to retire. It's depressing when your younger brother already has.

Comment

he he you sound like my older brother

Milan.

Comment

he he you sound like my older brother

Milan.
                    Milan, I feel sure that people must have said worse things to me, but I might need a bit of time...

Comment

Working...
                    X