• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange conversation about end date with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange conversation about end date with client

Hmm. Weird way to do things...

Contract until end of August. But got call from client resource manager (Client is actually an outsourcing company and I'm working on site at their client) telling me that end date is now 23rd.

Contract allows for 7 days notice from either party so that's the way it goes I suppose. But I asked client if they'd spoken to my agency and they said no and didnt plan to. To be honest, its not a big deal because it'll be nice to have the week off now.

Seemed to be a bit of basic lack of understanding that there was a contract in place, both between themselves and agency, and myself and agency. Seemed a bit nonplussed when I asked them to contact the agency to let them know.

But then its a been a bit of weird contract with client seeming to exercise way too much control for my liking. This is just another example I guess. Deffo what they wanted was a load of contractors they could treat like permies for 6 weeks.

To be honest, I expected an outsourcing company who deals with loads of contractors to be a bit better. Anyone else experienced similar?

Once again though, will point out that if I'd stumped up out of the blue that I wanted to finish one week early then client may well have been well unhappy about this if something urgent was on. Hey ho we live and learn.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I would certainly tell the agency first thing. This is between the client and the agency, if you're happy with the situation then the fight is between them.

I can you getting some flak from the agency if you don't.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I would certainly tell the agency first thing. This is between the client and the agency, if you're happy with the situation then the fight is between them.

I can you getting some flak from the agency if you don't.
      Yep. Agency informed. And no client had not told them.
      Agency agreed to confirm and give notice to me.

Like I said, client are strange. Not the first time they've done this sort of thing in the past few weeks. i.e. make a decision to change things and think as long as they inform the contractor then things like contracts dont matter.

Comment

No notice given by agency yet. Hmm think I better chase them for that or give notice myself to ensure that contractual end date is definitely the 23rd.

Past experience has shown that client wants all the flexibility. Even though, verbally informed that they dont need me after the 23rd, would'nt put it past them to change their minds on the 22nd and ask me to stay another week.

As it is, I've got other plans now for that week, so don't want hassle with them pointing to the original contract and the original end date. If they want me that week now their going to have negotiate and sort something out in addition.

To be fair, I've given client the benefit of the doubt on a few occasions here and had verbal agreements and been let down a bit (i.e. shifts being changed etc) so I'm not making the mistake again.

Good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Even though, verbally informed that they dont need me after the 23rd, would'nt put it past them to change their minds on the 22nd and ask me to stay another week.
          Get it in writing (they write to agency, then agency writes to you).

What you going to do if they do change their minds on the 22nd, and you fail to turn up? You're in breach of contract. Let them fook things up for themselves if they wish, but cover your own ass.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            Get it in writing (they write to agency, then agency writes to you).

What you going to do if they do change their minds on the 22nd, and you fail to turn up? You're in breach of contract. Let them fook things up for themselves if they wish, but cover your own ass.
            EXACTLY. Hassle when I say no I wont be here monday you agreed remember and they say no we've changed our minds. If contract is officially ended they can do what they wish.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              EXACTLY. Hassle when I say no I wont be here monday you agreed remember and they say no we've changed our minds. If contract is officially ended they can do what they wish.
              How does all this tally up with your flat rental?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                How does all this tally up with your flat rental?
                Unrelated.

Comment

Working...
                X