• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client bypassing pimp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client bypassing pimp

A couple of weeks ago I was put forward for a role by an agent. On the same day someone in HR from the client's company connects with me on Linkedin. They make no contact until last week, when they message me and say they like my profile and are interested in interviewing me.

I tell the HR person I was put forward for a role already by an agent. She tells me she doesn't use agents and I have an interview arranged for next week, in addition the rate I told her was more than the rate the agent had said.

The agent calls me again today and tells me he's heard nothing back from the hiring manager, who he believes is away until next week. I didn't mention the communication I'd had with the HR person.

I could just leave everything as it is and go to the interview. The client instigated this exclusion of the agent after all.
    I would feel worse, if I had known this agent for a long time but I am new to contracting.

So the best case scenario is I get a job & piss off one agent. Worst case scenario is I don't get a job and piss off an agent.

How would other people deal with this?

Depends on whether you intend to use said agent again.

If you get the gig, who cares.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

IMO you have done everything you need to by telling the HR person everything. If they say they don't use agents then chances are the agent is trying it on.

What worries me is when CV is put forward by 2 agencies and then HR cant be bothered to slap round the agencies (usually one is clearly in the wrong) and you lose the gig.

Comment

At the current moment the only "agreement" you have with the agent is a phone call. I doubt very much the agent could do very much legally on the strength of that.
        Remember the agreement is between the agent and the client at the moment - you're not involved.

Comment

Keep your head down and keep schtum.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If the client does not use agents then I would expect the agent is trying to pull a fast one. I have seen this happen at a company I worked at they did not use agencies just LinkedIn and used a jobsite to advertise. They got a call from an agent saying did they want to use an agency as they have people 'perfect' on their books for the role. Client says No. Agency sends details to the client 'in case' they change their mind.

A job very similar to the one they were recruiting for appeared with said agent as contact (I get sent jobs everyday from numerous job boards so saw it) may have been coincidence but maybe not. It appeared they were basically recruiting for the role even though they did not have it. No doubt to get CV's and if the client changed their mind they were ready to go.

Let the agent dig their hole bigger they have already said they were away when you know they are not, the job does not exist with them just carry on with the client and tell the agent nothing.

Comment

If they don't use agents, and more specifically if they don't use the one you spoke to, then they have no agreement with that agency about this kind of conflict. So there's absolutely nothing wrong except possibly annoying the agency, but tough for them.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I feel better about the situation now.

Comment

As far as you know (from what the HR bod says) they are not bypassing the agent at all.

What may have happened is the agent has sent them your CV unasked for, OR the HR bod cheekily requested CV's with no intention of actually using the agent.

Comment

Working...
                  X