• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants to make me permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wants to make me permie

Hello,

my current client, after almost a year of being contracting for them, now have asked me if I would like to become permie.

We have not talked about numbers yet, but obviously I would lose money, even taking in account my time off.

The "problem" is that this project is quite stable. In terms of work, I have the stability of a permie with the salary of a contractor (in the sense that this is a looong project... obviously they can dump me at some point). So becoming a permie does not really add a lot of value except the loss of money. So I do not really think that this is convenient!

On the other hand, I am highly motivated about this project. I really like it and I am happy here. If I do not accept and I walk away just for money, I might end up in a tulipty project or a project I do not like. Here I have almost my evenings free, it is very well organized... I really enjoy working there. Oh, and I dress down (t-shirt, jeans, trainers), which I have to say that is a big PLUS for me. Getting into a suit puts me in the worst of the moods since the very morning.

But I have to say that, when I think about becoming permie again and be stuck in a big company bureaucracy, random policies, authorizations, signatures, hierarchy... I almost throw up. Maybe this company is not like that, but I used to work in a very beaurocratical company and it was that what made me left. I really enjoy the freedom of being a contractor and I do not know if I can adjust to a permanent position again.

Has anybody been on the same situation? I would like to get different opinions to see different points of view and help me to take a decision.

Originally posted by LondonTube View Post
    become permie

There are some of us on this board who get bouts of shell-shock when that word is mentioned.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Do you like 360 appraisals,team building days and looking at powerpoint presentations
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

We have not talked about numbers yet, but obviously I would lose money, even taking in account my time off.
        As soon as you realise there are no real permie jobs any more - only working for less- then the decision becomes easier, in contracting there are good contracts and hellish contracts - you should be man enough to deal with the bad ones (or walk) and relish as a bonus the good ones
        Best way of declining is to think of a number, double it and then add some more in to make them realise they could not afford you - that way both parties save face
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

now have asked me if I would like to become permie.
          So they haven't said "permie, or you have to leave"?

Just from the way you have phrased it, it doesn't imply that you'll get the boot if you don't.

Try and have a frank discussion with client co contact, DO NOT mention money as the reason, even though he/she knows that is probably the case. Talk about preferring the contracting way of working etc.

If they like you enough to offer you permie, and you should hopefully have a good enough impression of whether they'd be churlish to bag you for refusing the offer, just politely decline.

The main thing you need to find out is if budget is the driver. Then it may be out of your contacts hands even if they'd be happy to keep you on as a contractor.

Comment

Is it an either or? Permie or leave?

I'd say 'no ta, but I'm happy to continue with current arrangements' and hope they stick with the status quo.

Comment

Tell them that this is part of a 5 year plan to another bigger business so you cannot leave it. Hence you both save face,
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Do you like 360 appraisals,team building days and looking at powerpoint presentations
                permie politics where there's no escape, appraisals where it's all about someone else's agenda, getting the blame when something goes wrong and sharing no credit at all when you've sorted out the mess for others, watching 'consultants' piss off at 5 in Jags and Astons while colleagues stand at the coffee corner debating the merits of the Ford Focus and the Vauxhall Astra, and on it goes...**** it. I learnt my lesson; I'm retraining at the same time as contracting to try and avoid ever being in the position again that I have to take a permie role.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've had this a few times and always said no. Always been offered a renewal.

You could offer to sign a long contract - say a year. This lets them save face and feel happier you will not leave in the middle of a project - and you get a long contract at a place you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    As soon as you realise there are no real permie jobs any more - only working for less- then the decision becomes easier, in contracting there are good contracts and hellish contracts - you should be man enough to deal with the bad ones (or walk) and relish as a bonus the good ones
                    Best way of declining is to think of a number, double it and then add some more in to make them realise they could not afford you - that way both parties save face
                    EXACTLY!! That is what I think... as a contractor they can dump me... but also as a permie!! So, given the fact that this project is a long-term one, I do not thing that I am mitigating any risks by becoming permie, but only decreasing my income.

Of course I can deal with bad contracts... but on the other hand I also wonder if maybe it is worth to exchange some money to keep a job I am really enjoying

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    So they haven't said "permie, or you have to leave"?

Just from the way you have phrased it, it doesn't imply that you'll get the boot if you don't.

Try and have a frank discussion with client co contact, DO NOT mention money as the reason, even though he/she knows that is probably the case. Talk about preferring the contracting way of working etc.

If they like you enough to offer you permie, and you should hopefully have a good enough impression of whether they'd be churlish to bag you for refusing the offer, just politely decline.

The main thing you need to find out is if budget is the driver. Then it may be out of your contacts hands even if they'd be happy to keep you on as a contractor.
                    They have not stated that, though, but I am "scared"* that since they want to increase their profit, if I do not accept they will look for a substitute.

Which would be the best approach to find out whether it is a budget problem? Honestly I do not think so, I just think they want to increase their profit, but who knows... I also know that the final client is really happy with me. I do not think they are putting pressure in the consultancy company (I am contracting for a consultancy company which is working for a bank) to reduce the costs.

*by "scared" I do not mean that I am frigthened... if I lose this contract I will find another one. But as said, it disturbs my peace of mind thinking that maybe I am losing a very nice position for being too stubborn

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    That is the point, honestly. It is not even about the money, but the fact that thinking about getting again in all that horrible stuff makes me feel sick.

I have even thought about offering a rate reduction but being kept as a contract, only to avoid getting into the permie hell again. But I think that it would be the most stupid move, since that would settle a precedence to keep reducing my rate...

I love the feeling of working for myself. Some time ago I used to become demotivated easily in projects, and at some point wake up every morning thinking "what the hell I am doing here?" even if I liked the job. But it made me feel stupid being working for a consultancy company that was taking the biggest part from my billing.

Now it is the first time in my life I still wake up every morning very happy for having this contract, for working for myself, for having a bit of control on what I am doing and what I want to do... not being frustrated arguing with managers to get a tulipty training (now if I want it, I buy it!), not being moved from a project to another one depending on other people's desires witohut even asking... Definitely I do not want to go back there.

This was my first contract and it was really tought at the beginning, but now I think I made the very best choice.

But, as said, because of this specific project, wouldn't it be worth maybe becoming permanent? I also wonder if then I will become automatically demotivated (my biggest fear... there is nothing worst that working with no motivation). Also it feels stupid to become permie for a project and then think about quitting. That would give me the salary of a permie with the "unstability" of a contractor, since I will not be ensured a continuity on work...

I think that with those three last paragraphs I already answered myself...

Comment

Working...
                    X