• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1949 Benefits programme on 4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1949 Benefits programme on 4

Gosh.

Some surprises there then.

Not far off "let them eat cake", all in all.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...s-britain-1949
    Last edited by zeitghost; 13 August 2013, 08:51.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Gosh.

Benefits Britain 1949 - Channel 4
    Ah yes, the saga of Karen and her potato. 'Shall I pick it up? Will he think I'm capable of picking things up and moving them around?'
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Gosh.

it was designed to get people working not resting.

The look on the guy in the wheelchairs face when he got the job offer was very pleasing.

The lady with Diabetes & Heart problems was telling.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Indeed.

"It all hurts, I can't do anything at all".

That wouldn't have cut the mustard back in 1949.

Didn't realise the pension was so dire though.

Just as well most of the population died at 67.

Correllation does not prove causation of course.
        They made it sound like a lot of pensioners slowly starved to death, was it really that bad back when we were self sufficient in food back then ????
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Indeed.

"It all hurts, I can't do anything at all".

That wouldn't have cut the mustard back in 1949.

Didn't realise the pension was so dire though.

Just as well most of the population died at 67.

Correllation does not prove causation of course.
          I think that back then most people accepted that some amount of pain was part of life and you just had to get on with it. Of course, life expectancy has risen, health care has improved and safety at work has improved; on the whole that's a good thing, but it seems to have given some people the expectation that you can lead a pain free life and that someone else will always cover the risks for you. I'm afraid you can't. The chap with spina bifida seems to understand that; bloody well done to him.

Comment

It explains why allotments & gardens were so popular.

ZeitGrandfather ended up on National Assistance.
            Both grandtesterfathers had allotments or tiny gardens, fished at the weekend, kept chickens, shot pigeons and rabbits and made sure they, as well as patertester and matertester were sufficiently well fed to perform in their sports at the highest level as well as cycling to work and back every day. They certainly didn't go hungry. They just didn't waste any spare time. They probably didn't eat much of that fast food crap though. Lots of eggs, spuds, fresh veg or pickled veg in winter, unprocessed meat and so on.

Some people think black folks are winning all the athletics events because of their genes; OK, that's probably a part of it, but listen to what the athletes say about what they ate as kids; none of them will tell you they stuffed their faces with mars bars, big macs, chips and cola. The caribbeans and British caribbeans grew up eating their mum's prawn gumbo, the sub saharan Africans grew up eating grain, chicken and cabbages. The north Africans ate rice or couscous, lots of veg and a bit of stewed mutton stirred in. Hardly surprising they're fit. They're going to take over cycling next as well; that there Kenya where Chris Froome grew up; they've got another hundred like him.

Comment

MY Grandfather and his peers always grew veg, he wasn't poor but it was the done thing. He went down the allotment, the kids went in the Garden or down the allotment with Grandad or out to the park/forest and Gran cleaned.

were the wire screens there in 1949? I always see that as a 70s / 80s phenomenon barriers up everywhere. I expect in 1949 lumping a Civil servant would have got you a couple of years in prison.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Some people think black folks are winning all the athletics events because of their genes; OK, that's probably a part of it, but listen to what the athletes say about what they ate as kids; none of them will tell you they stuffed their faces with mars bars, big macs, chips and cola.
                Apart from Bolt?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Apart from Bolt?
                  He eats chicken nuggets these days I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Apart from Bolt?
                    Well yeah, but what has he ever done?

Comment

Working...
                    X