• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC wins £68m Stamp Duty Land Tax case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could be a land mark case as HMRC are now systematically reviewing purchases that used the stamp duty mitigations schemes.

No doubt if HMRC had lost they would have used retrospection.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Depends who the other side have as lawyers. The little man is much easier to beat down even in a group than a large corporation who will appeal all the way to Europe.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wonder if they will get this back....

Labour's 'tax dodge' on sale of HQ saved £210,000 stamp duty - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Nah, they only need retrospection when they know they can't win without it

In fairness to HMRC , they appear to have done this right. They have long said these SDLT schemes were never legal in the first place - and the courts agree with them (so far).

Surely the blame lies with the scheme promoters and their highly paid QC opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Surely the blame lies with the scheme promoters and their highly paid QC opinion.
            Yes, I have always said that. A poster in another thread explained how the Australian tax authorities deal with these schemes in a much better way than here (in which schemes must actually be approved before they can be sold).

They need to go after the sharks (who are nothing better than fraudsters in my opinion).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Power Mortgages Ltd View Post
              Exactly

It's died down now but it got to the stage where 50% of the clients I met were asking me about it as estate agents were using it as a selling tool to push their adviser and solicitor. Im guessing you had to deal with this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Depends who the other side have as lawyers. The little man is much easier to beat down even in a group than a large corporation who will appeal all the way to Europe.
                Montpelier had very good lawyers. And they are appealing to Europe - but that will take 10+ years. And they have hired one of the best for Europe.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Yes, I have always said that. A poster in another thread explained how the Australian tax authorities deal with these schemes in a much better way than here (in which schemes must actually be approved before they can be sold).

They need to go after the sharks (who are nothing better than fraudsters in my opinion).
                +1. Why are the UK always so slow to pick up on this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                  Exactly

It's died down now but it got to the stage where 50% of the clients I met were asking me about it as estate agents were using it as a selling tool to push their adviser and solicitor. Im guessing you had to deal with this as well.
                  Yes, even had some of the scheme runners trying to get us to promote it for them in exchange for commission which we swiftly rejected.

We didn't see it as ethical and also had underlying doubts that the schemes would hold any water when HMRC eventually came knocking. We didn't want t be associated with recommending this type of thing to clients for them to later be bit on the backside and point to us for recommending the scheme.

One of my clients did use the scheme after insisting he wanted to use it and arranged it all off his own back despite my warnings. I think he was just drawn in by their sales pitch about it being 'nailed on' that he wouldn't have to pay the stamp duty if HMRC didn't ask for it within a period of 8 months. I always felt they would be able to retrospectively reclaim the money no matter how much time had passed though. I'm sure the client who used this is now a little worried, hopefully he did as I advised and kept the money in a savings fund for if/when HMRC come calling for it or he could be in a spot of bother!

Comment

Originally posted by Power Mortgages Ltd View Post
                    Yes, even had some of the scheme runners trying to get us to promote it for them in exchange for commission which we swiftly rejected.

We didn't see it as ethical and also had underlying doubts that the schemes would hold any water when HMRC eventually came knocking. We didn't want t be associated with recommending this type of thing to clients for them to later be bit on the backside and point to us for recommending the scheme.

One of my clients did use the scheme after insisting he wanted to use it and arranged it all off his own back despite my warnings. I think he was just drawn in by their sales pitch about it being 'nailed on' that he wouldn't have to pay the stamp duty if HMRC didn't ask for it within a period of 8 months. I always felt they would be able to retrospectively reclaim the money no matter how much time had passed though. I'm sure the client who used this is now a little worried, hopefully he did as I advised and kept the money in a savings fund for if/when HMRC come calling for it or he could be in a spot of bother!
                    I know exactly what you mean - you could see from the off that there would be nothing but comebacks from it as HMRC were never going to tolerate losing huge chunks of tax.

I actually lost a client because the estate agent told them that by going through his solicitor and adviser, he could save them the stamp duty.

Comment

Working...
                    X