• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The strangest interview you've ever had - please share experiences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strangest interview you've ever had - please share experiences

Hi there
    I'm new to this forum so excuse if I'm in the wrong section.

Although I've done contracting all over the world for around 45 years now I still remember one day going for an Interview with a Client in Den Haag (actually it was SHELL).

I was a bit early so I went into one of the great Bars over there (not one of those with that "Funny smelling Baccy" BTW) and bought a beer. I got chatting with another guy at the Bar -- he was also an avid Chelsea FC supporter - but we won't go into that.
    Anyway we gossiped for about 1 hr and about 5 mins before the interview I said to the guy "Sorry but I've got to go -- I've got an appointment for an interview. He said "We'll so have I -- I'm meeting a guy from England. He asked who's the company -- and I said a big International Oil Company.

It transpired he was the Boss who was expecting me !! neddless to say I didn't need the formal interview and got the job !!!!

(And even after many years I still see the guy --and it was perhaps one of the best contracts I've ever had - and I had YEARS of extensions too.

Cheers
    jimbo

In an interview for a web development role the other year: "Can we just go back to your experience writing games in the 80s, not because it's relevant but just because it sounds really cool!"

Comment

My strangest interview was where I was the interviewer. THis guy turned up and I asked him to talk for what he had done in the last 3 years. He spent 1 hour on it - after 20 minutes I let him go on just to see how dull he was. Quite astonishing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        My strangest interview was where I was the interviewer. THis guy turned up and I asked him to talk for what he had done in the last 3 years. He spent 1 hour on it - after 20 minutes I let him go on just to see how dull he was. Quite astonishing.
        And you still appointed yourself Company Director.

Comment

A summer job in my teens in the north west coast of Scotland. A local hotel many miles down a single track road, overlooking a loch, needed a luggage boy. The sort of place with Aston Martins parked on a gravel frontage.

"Well I think it's all going well" Said Miss manager. "You'd be required from Monday through toThursday evening" "Oh and one other thing, instead of calling you by your name would you be ok with toots?"

Bye!!! -

Fecking rich people.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Went for an interview at some small start up company using a particular type of ERP software.

The interview went well and I knew my onions but I had a bit of a bad feeling about it. After the interview the chap decided to introduce me to the staff. We went down the corridor into the basement where there were 3 others in the small team. The first was what I can only describe as a man hating Lesbian Goth with a face pickled in piercings, the second a tall skinny guys, about 6.5/6.6 with the frame of Mr Muscle and the last was a meek wiry woman of about 35/36 in sensible clothes who I was told I would be working with.

When sitting with her we started to talk, me mostly and when she spoke she was so meek (like the bird from Police Academy) I had to ask her to speak up. She was also as boring as hell. When She finished with the line(whispered) 'it will be so nice to have someone to talk to' I had made my mind up.

They offered it. I declined it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo45 View Post
              I got chatting with another guy at the Bar -- he was also an avid Chelsea FC supporter - but we won't go into that.
              Anyway we gossiped for about 1 hr and about 5 mins before the interview I said to the guy "Sorry but I've got to go -- I've got an appointment for an interview. He said "We'll so have I -- I'm meeting a guy from England. He asked who's the company -- and I said a big International Oil Company.

It transpired he was the Boss who was expecting me !! neddless to say I didn't need the formal interview and got the job !!!!

(And even after many years I still see the guy --and it was perhaps one of the best contracts I've ever had - and I had YEARS of extensions too.

Cheers
              jimbo

Last edited by ExPermie; 13 August 2013, 19:36.
              sasguru says:
              Yes but you are quite limited after all
              Answers on a postcard please!

Comment

Here we go again....
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  But it is funny.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Certainly my shortest ever interview.

Years ago (i was a young lad) went for permie interview. Told the agent no I wasn't interested in London. South West only for me.

Anyway, job came up with Cable and Wireless. Agent called me - interview in London but job was definitely in the South West. Again, told him I really wasn't interested in London. He assured me that was not the case.

So, £100+ train ride to London. Day off work etc. Got to about the 3rd question - interviewer obviously noticing I wasn't a 'local' slips in - so you'll be relocating to London if successful? So then I say - umm isn't this an interview for role in the South West. Bemused looks all round. End of interview.

I was absolutely steaming and went nuts with the pimp. No idea what he was thinking. Perhaps he thought if he got me to turn up and got offered it I might change my mind and decide I really wanted the bright lights and the big city. Idiot.

In the end made agency cough up for train ticket for wasting my time. And they did in the end.

I'm hoping the client were less than impressed with the agency too and this guy had a bit of grief.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X