• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Alice in Wongaland" economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Alice in Wongaland" economy?

Seems borrowing to spend is all we have left now.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Seems borrowing to spend is all we have left now.
    If someone lent me a pound for everytime I've heard that.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Isn't it the perfect economy?

No need for productive industry, just print money to buy your own debt, whilst we all sell our houses to each other at higher and higher prices and spend the "profits" on luxury goods.

It must be very annoying to the Germans to see us so wealthy in our mega expensive homes whilst they slave over the next Porsche or Audi in a factory somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Isn't it the perfect economy?

No need for productive industry, just print money to buy your own debt, whilst we all sell our houses to each other at higher and higher prices and spend the "profits" on luxury goods.

It must be very annoying to the Germans to see us so wealthy in our mega expensive homes whilst they slave over the next Porsche or Audi in a factory somewhere....
        More annoying for the Chinese who bought tons of UK debt and are never going to see a return on it.

Comment

It's all about to burst and the government are scrambling to do anything in their power to stop it. Do you think it was a coincidence that nearly all newspapers and channels did stories about how strong the economy was yesterday?

I think the government are getting ready to pull the plug on government backed subprime (HomeBuy) and are ramping up some momentum in the housing market before.

Comment

We have the wrong sort of recovery - its unsustainable. But as long as it keeps going until after the next election then DC will be happy.

However will be tough for him as I think 2014 will be bad for Eurozone. But then I said that about 2012.

Comment

It's all very well, but inherently wrong. And we know it.

The £ will succumb to even greater pressure, with the UK eventually sleep walking into joining the euro. Savers will move what little wealth they have away, increasing strain on lending for new business.

Failed short term policy making, we may as well go to Vegas and spend the money there, we'd get a better return.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                It's all very well, but inherently wrong. And we know it.

The £ will succumb to even greater pressure, with the UK eventually sleep walking into joining the euro. Savers will move what little wealth they have away, increasing strain on lending for new business.

Failed short term policy making, we may as well go to Vegas and spend the money there, we'd get a better return.
                I think the plan is for DC to get through the next general election, let the correction happen then he has 4 years to rebuild the economy before the next GE.

Comment

You lot are making the usual limited IT geek conclusions: conflating your personal circumstances and assuming the whole country is like you.
                  There are plenty of businesses, large and small, that are adding value and improving the balance of payments by exporting goods and/or services abroad.
                  I am one.
                  HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    There are plenty of businesses, large and small, that are adding value and improving the balance of payments by exporting goods and/or services abroad.
                    I am one.
                    HTH
                    I din't realise shelf packing was exportable?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X