• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A-level results 2013: Dip in top grades

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-level results 2013: Dip in top grades

Oh dear - the north / south divide is growing, turns out there's more grey matter up north. Must be the deep fried mars bars diet.

There has been a fall in the proportion of A-levels awarded top grades for the second year in a row, after years of steady increases.

Just over a quarter of exam entries - 26.3% - were given A or A* grades,
    BBC News - A-level results 2013: Dip in top grades

Meanwhile in Scotland:

Scottish Higher and Standard Grade exam results delivered. The pass rate for Highers increased from 75.2% in 2011 to 76.9% this year, which represents a rise of 7% over the past decade.
    BBC News - Scottish Higher and Standard Grade exam results delivered
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Oh dear - the north / south divide is growing, turns out there's more grey matter up north. Must be the deep fried mars bars diet.

BBC News - A-level results 2013: Dip in top grades

Meanwhile in Scotland:

BBC News - Scottish Higher and Standard Grade exam results delivered
    All that means is that the Scottish exams are easier.
    They must be - you passed them and you're illogical, illiterate and innumerate.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      All that means is that the Scottish exams are easier.
      They must be - you passed them and you're illogical, illiterate and innumerate.
      Of course I forgot, you have a problem with reading facts before posting comments. And your clients pay for this ill informed support? Goodness.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Of course I forgot, you have a problem with reading facts before posting comments. And your clients pay for this ill informed support? Goodness.
        That's a good example of your illogicality.
        Your homework, if you're capable, is to work out why.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

The Scottish higher maths paper this year was apparently a complete joke...

SQA criticised for dumbing down Higher Maths exam | Herald Scotland

My friend is a principal maths teacher, he told me that people who are getting As this year would not have passed the paper that I sat.

Comment

Examples?

Comment

Don't mean to sound ignorant, but will the Scottish be facing an education reform like in England? A reform in my eyes is exactly what the UK needs to get back to it's peak (although it'll take some time).

And people, why the aggression? Like @scooterscot said, there's no hard evidence that the Scottish exams far easier than England's. So stop with all the country bashing!
              Find First Call Contract Services on:
              Facebook
              Twitter
              Google+
              Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by FirstCallCS View Post
                Don't mean to sound ignorant, but will the Scottish be facing an education reform like in England? A reform in my eyes is exactly what the UK needs to get back to it's peak (although it'll take some time).

And people, why the aggression? Like @scooterscot said, there's no hard evidence that the Scottish exams far easier than England's. So stop with all the country bashing!
                I for one do not believe reform is needed at all. Higher / A-levels are not for everyone. Neither is university for that matter. I'm so pleased so see many young people beginning their apprenticeships here in Germany. I'd much rather see vocational qualifications that assist people in gaining access to trades in manufacturing rather than this constant '50% of young people in university' it's a shame, and turns university from a place of outstanding research into a commercial machine.

Aggression belongs to only a few members here, poor diet no doubt.

Comment

Aggression belongs to only a few members here, poor diet no doubt.
                  Yep, quite some way to go before the rest of the UK can catch up with Scotland. Still only 2nd place at the moment, I'm sure they can make the push to 1st place ahead of the yanks if they really try.

BBC News - Call for obesity action from hospitals and supermarkets

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    Yep, quite some way to go before the rest of the UK can catch up with Scotland. Still only 2nd place at the moment, I'm sure they can make the push to 1st place ahead of the yanks if they really try.

BBC News - Call for obesity action from hospitals and supermarkets

It would be interesting to see a demographic of the chunky versus age.

Comment

Working...
                    X