• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introducing Weekend rates to an existing contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Weekend rates to an existing contract

There's currently nothing defined specifically relating to weekend working or rates in my existing contract, but In the past I've provided some weekend working for no extra charge (which in hindsight was probably the wrong thing to do) to deploy new versions of software or check certain tasks ran etc.

Given nothing is detailed in any contract I'm contemplating informing the client that I will be unable to provide this level of service for free going forward as I've other working commitments but I would be prepared to agree to something being added to the contract. I'm fearful however that this is this likely to just pi$$ off the client but is something I'll just have to risk.

Do others on here insist on specific weekend rates/availability being written into their contracts at point of signing or is it something that is only ever discussed when the talk of weekend working crops up and then added later?

How is your contract worded? I try get mine worded so it is £xxx per professional working day. That way it is covered, just advise anyone concerned you will be doing Saturday and then bill it as a professional day.

Avoid the term overtime at all costs. Permies do overtime, you work on a daily rate whatever day. Also try not to look like you are getting permission to work the Saturday so you don't encounter D&C issues.

I have also done the extra day once in awhile, particularly near the beginning of a contract but once it became a bit more regular or expected I took it up with the client was quite happy to be invoiced for it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply NLUK

Contract currently worded as "£xx per day" only unfortunately so will look to raise the discussion very soon.

Given the frequency with which I'm being asked to provide services on a weekend and more importantly the expectation without consultation that I can/will provide these services I'm also conscious from an IR35 perspective that this needs discussing.

Comment

If I have to work a weekend or bank holiday, for whatever reason I notify the project manager and relevant decision maker at the client's business and just let them know that as this day is outside the scope of our working contract I will either be billing them an extra day (or 1.5 days if a Sunday or bank holiday) or taking a day back in lieu of the time worked)

I've never had any knock-back from that, if they want the extra work doing, as a viable business you should be compensated for the time spent on the task. Providing you are working on a daily rate and not a fixed cost of course.

Comment

Be careful with the gentleman's agreement and 'no need to add into contract' idea. I just got bitten badly by this one in current gig where client really just took the piss. They mentioned weekends/shifts during interview but it never got into the contract etc. just PWD.

What happened then was they seemed to think they owned me 24/7 for the duration of the contract which meant they could tell me what hours to work (days, 12 hours, nights, weekends etc) and changed the plans often with less than a days notice. Once fair enough but then it got a bit too often and they were a bit off if I said no.

You might have seen my other threads - hassle with accommodation and family hassle. Of course, all very bad for IR35 too.

Next time, I'll think twice about being so agreeable and make sure its all laid out in the contract. And I'll definitely ensure that they don't have the right to change things at last minute as they did.

7 week contract but lots of grief....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
            If I have to work a weekend or bank holiday, for whatever reason I notify the project manager and relevant decision maker at the client's business and just let them know that as this day is outside the scope of our working contract I will either be billing them an extra day (or 1.5 days if a Sunday or bank holiday) or taking a day back in lieu of the time worked)

I've never had any knock-back from that, if they want the extra work doing, as a viable business you should be compensated for the time spent on the task. Providing you are working on a daily rate and not a fixed cost of course.
            In the past I've always been OK about working Saturday for normal rate if :-

1. Its not too much hassle for myself and family.
            2. They actually agree to pay me the days rate.
            3. They're flexible for me if I ever need a few hours off etc.

In the past, though, I have had urgent requests on a Friday for something to be done on Saturday. Usually then when I ask someone to authorise this so that I can bill for the day, it all becomes not so urgent. Basically, if I was doing it for free then they were happy. I dont think so.

Of course, when you get other contractors who will do it for free it really winds me up. (Also, contractors who will work weeks past end date of contract whilst client 'sorts out renewal').

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              In the past I've always been OK about working Saturday for normal rate if :-

1. Its not too much hassle for myself and family.
              2. They actually agree to pay me the days rate.

In the past, though, I have had urgent requests on a Friday for something to be done on Saturday. Usually then when I ask someone to authorise this so that I can bill for the day, it all becomes not so urgent. Basically, if I was doing it for free then they were happy. I dont think so.

Of course, when you get other contractors who will do it for free it really winds me up. (Also, contractors who will work weeks past end date of contract whilst client 'sorts out renewal').
              I think that comes down to experience vs naivety. 90% of the time when I'm asked to work a weekend the work suddenly goes from "defcon 5" to it "can wait until Monday" when somebody is asked to sign off the payment. More often than not some other poor sod gets lumbered with it instead because they won't push back and gladly decide to spend their weekend at the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Disguised permie alert

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Disguised permie alert

Nothing to do with a disguised permie - some roles i.e. support require you to be available at certain times and the client's requirements mean they are completely inflexible about this.

In other roles they think they need this but in reality don't but are inflexible anyway.

Good clients try and be flexible as they know it benefits them in the long run.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                    I think that comes down to experience vs naivety. 90% of the time when I'm asked to work a weekend the work suddenly goes from "defcon 5" to it "can wait until Monday" when somebody is asked to sign off the payment. More often than not some other poor sod gets lumbered with it instead because they won't push back and gladly decide to spend their weekend at the PC.
                    Yep. Agreed about the defcon 5. In reality, its more like we'd like this done if its free.

Comment

Working...
                    X