• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Usual bollox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usual bollox

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5225056.stm

Public sector workers such as police, teachers, nurses and firemen cannot afford to buy property in two-thirds of UK towns, the Halifax bank has said.
    Property is most unaffordable for those in London and south-east England.

But rising prices in northern England, the Midlands and Scotland are increasingly putting home ownership out of the grasp of such workers, it added.

Halifax arrived at its conclusions by dividing average regional property prices by average annual wages.

Out of 519 towns surveyed by the Halifax, 339 (65%) were deemed unaffordable.

FIVE LEAST AFFORDABLE TOWNS
    Gerrards Cross, South-East
    Weybridge, South-East
    Kensington and Chelsea, London
    Ascot, South-East
    Sevenoaks, South-East
    Source: Halifax

In 2001, just under a quarter of towns were unaffordable.

Halifax defined a town as unaffordable if the average price of a house was more than 4.46 times the average wage of the workers. The 4.46 figure is the average income multiple that mortgage providers will lend to UK first-time buyers.

Wages gap

The average property is beyond the reach of police, nurses, teachers, firemen and ambulance staff in all towns in the South-West, compared with 15% five years ago.

I earn pretty much the average graduate wage, but it's nowhere near enough

James Ashwin

Are you trying to buy?

Likewise, these workers find themselves priced out of all but a handful of towns in the South-East.

The biggest gap between average wages of public sector workers - often dubbed key workers - and house prices was in London.

A home in the capital costs on average 11.1 times the annual pay of ambulance staff and 9.5 times a nurse's earnings.

FIVE MOST AFFORDABLE TOWNS
    Lochgelly. Scotland
    Kelty, Scotland
    Nelson, north west
    Greenock, Scotland
    Ebbw Vale, Wales

Gerrards Cross is the least affordable town in UK for key workers, closely followed by Weybridge, Kensington and Chelsea, Ascot, Sevenoaks and Leatherhead.

All in all, 18 of the 20 least affordable towns in the UK were in the south of England.

"Now it is difficult for key workers to buy the average house, not only in the south of England but also in significant parts of the Midlands, northern England, Wales and Scotland," Martin Ellis, Halifax chief economist, said.

DimPrawn says:

If you can't afford something, buy something cheaper or earn more money.

HTH

Well rent then ffs, fall in demand would lead to fall in prices - don't they teach market economics in Engish schools?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Well rent then ffs, fall in demand would lead to fall in prices - don't they teach market economics in Engish schools?
      Where's the problem? The wealthy buy properties for investment and a pension. They then rent them out to the unwashed masses who cannot afford to buy. The wealthy buy more properties from the proceeds. The poor become dependent. This is the New Liar version of equality.

All animals are equal blah dee blah dee blah.

Comment

The problem is that every Joe Smith wants to get rich quick by overstretching oneself to buy the biggest property possible and then expect it to double quickly or get rented out at ridiculous prices. Yesterday I've turned on TV for a change and quickly got onto one of those programs about people buying run down houses, fixing them and selling at a profit - sign of times.

Comment

They are so utterly dull too! Whenever I catch a glimpse of one I always hope the bastards lose everything, it would serve them right for BORING me rigid. Same with life swaps progs. They should swap with unfortunate people in war zones and get blown up. Much more entertaining.

PS I bet if there was such a program there would no shortage of volunteers. Fame is everything.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            Same with life swaps progs.
            What about wife swaps?

Comment

FIVE LEAST AFFORDABLE TOWNS
              Gerrards Cross, South-East
              Weybridge, South-East
              Kensington and Chelsea, London
              Ascot, South-East
              Sevenoaks, South-East
              FFS! These areas are notoriously expensive - I doubt many people could afford to live there.

What a load of propaganda bollocks...
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Public sector workers such as police, teachers, nurses and firemen cannot afford to buy property in two-thirds of UK towns, the Halifax bank has said.
                Why should it matter that some of the people who can't afford properties are public sector workers? They are merely a subset of a much bigger group of people who can't afford to buy, therefore not deserving of particular sympathy.

Secondly, this is only a problem if it means the the public sector cannot get the quality and quantity of workers it wants. If this is the case, the solution is to pay more.

Phrasing the "problem" in this half-arsed way leads to half-arsed solutions, such as subsidised housing for people who fulfil the right criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
                  Phrasing the "problem" in this half-arsed way leads to half-arsed solutions, such as subsidised housing for people who fulfil the right criteria.
                  And what exactly is wrong with members of the party gaining preferential access to state property? If there is no state property available then I am sure you members of the bourgeoisie would be more than happy to hand over one of your unoccupied houses to help out, after all it is only fair.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    The problem is that every Joe Smith wants to get rich quick by overstretching oneself to buy the biggest property possible and then expect it to double quickly or get rented out at ridiculous prices. Yesterday I've turned on TV for a change and quickly got onto one of those programs about people buying run down houses, fixing them and selling at a profit - sign of times.
                    What happened to people just living in them?

When I finally buy (or build) a run down mess of a house I'm not going to be selling it again!
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X