• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inexperienced agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexperienced agent?

On my last couple of contracts I've been upping my rates. Based on coversations with other contractors in the same field (training) I had raised my rate to what they saw as the max of what could be achieved, and have had no trouble finding work.
    On my current contract I negotiated to a higher rate than this, as I'm doing Mon-Fri away from home and flying home for weekends so had higher costs. I was quite pleased with myself for managing to get a higher rate than my peers said was possible.

I had a conversation with an agent the other day about a possible new role coming up. When asked about day rates, I pitched at a little lower than my current rate (whilst giving caveats that the rate would depend on the details of the requirements), but still at the top end of what others have discussed.

His response was "OK, that should be fine. They're also hiring some testers, who are looking at £x per day". The figure he gave for them is higher than what I'd quoted, and above testing roles I can see on Jobserve.
    I don't care if they're charging more than me - they're doing a different job. What I'm wondering is why the agent, rather than making the normal "We'll have to see, that may be a little high for their budget" type noises, instead almost seems to be encouraging me to up my rate.

Any tester care to share an average sort of rate for their role (by PM if they want), or anyone got any ideas why an agent would seemingly give me a green light to try upping my rate?

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    On my last couple of contracts I've been upping my rates. Based on coversations with other contractors in the same field (training) I had raised my rate to what they saw as the max of what could be achieved, and have had no trouble finding work.
    On my current contract I negotiated to a higher rate than this, as I'm doing Mon-Fri away from home and flying home for weekends so had higher costs. I was quite pleased with myself for managing to get a higher rate than my peers said was possible.

I had a conversation with an agent the other day about a possible new role coming up. When asked about day rates, I pitched at a little lower than my current rate (whilst giving caveats that the rate would depend on the details of the requirements), but still at the top end of what others have discussed.

His response was "OK, that should be fine. They're also hiring some testers, who are looking at £x per day". The figure he gave for them is higher than what I'd quoted, and above testing roles I can see on Jobserve.
    I don't care if they're charging more than me - they're doing a different job. What I'm wondering is why the agent, rather than making the normal "We'll have to see, that may be a little high for their budget" type noises, instead almost seems to be encouraging me to up my rate.

Any tester care to share an average sort of rate for their role (by PM if they want), or anyone got any ideas why an agent would seemingly give me a green light to try upping my rate?
    He may be on a fixed %, or sometimes they are on a margin based on bands so want to get you into the next banding.

My first contract, I'd secured the gig but needed an agent. They asked what I was looking at and I said I reckoned the going rate was £350 to £400 pd. They said they could get me £500 and they did.

Comment

Yep, it just seemed a little strange.

Forgot to say, it was coupled with his comment that "There aren't many people in your field around at the moment".
      So in one breath telling me that there is limited supply, and in another intimating that my rate is more than acceptable.

Whelp, it's all academic at the moment anyway - my CV has only just gone in.

Comment

Working...
      X