• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Year Rule - Back To Original Location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Year Rule - Back To Original Location

I hit the 2 year expenses rule last year and since moved to new location with same client co due to moving programme, which had then become the primary location. Due to change in programme phase my initial location is going to become primary location again.

So will I be able to claim expenses from when I move back to the original primary location ?

Where did you move from and where did you move to originally?

Comment

I moved from South East based into London and now back out to same office in South East, all with same clientco (although not sure this bit is relevant ?)
      Thanks

Comment

I think it's probably fine as it's all about location rather than client (that's a different issue). Assuming "south east" is a significant distance and cost to get to compared to London from where you were, the clock should be reset.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
          I think it's probably fine as it's all about location rather than client (that's a different issue). Assuming "south east" is a significant distance and cost to get to compared to London from where you were, the clock should be reset.
          Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, SE and London are different directions from home and one requires train, the other car to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, SE and London are different directions from home and one requires train, the other car to get there.
            Excellent. I was referring more to the distance between the work locations but I'm guessing they both considerable far apart too.

Comment

Craig, won't the duration of the gap make a difference?

Do you have to take an average of the last 2 years or similar?

Don't know, hence the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Craig, won't the duration of the gap make a difference?

Do you have to take an average of the last 2 years or similar?

Don't know, hence the question.
                I'd usually say a gap between location of 3 - 6 months should do it. The longer the better of course.

Sorry, I should have stated that earlier that the assumption was the SE and London location had a generous gap before moving back to the original location.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
                  I'd usually say a gap between location of 3 - 6 months should do it. The longer the better of course.

Sorry, I should have stated that earlier that the assumption was the SE and London location had a generous gap before moving back to the original location.
                  You're not taking into account the 40% rule Craig - the 24 month rule is rolling so if OP has spent more than 40% of time at same location they won't be able to claim expenses
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    You're not taking into account the 40% rule Craig - the 24 month rule is rolling so if OP has spent more than 40% of time at same location they won't be able to claim expenses
                    Huh?

Comment

Working...
                    X