• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Court ordered sterilisation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court ordered sterilisation

Interesting one from a moral perspective:

High Court rules man can be sterilised

Nazi Germany was not the first or only country to sterilize people considered "abnormal." Before Hitler, the United States led the world in forced sterilizations. Between 1907 and 1939, more than 30,000 people in twenty-nine states were sterilized, many of them unknowingly or against their will, while they were incarcerated in prisons or institutions for the mentally ill.

Nearly half the operations were carried out in California. Advocates of sterilization policies in both Germany and the United States were influenced by eugenics.
    :nazi:
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The BBC link says that he "can" be sterilised, not that he must be.

Does the BBC mean "must"?

If so then I agree with Troll - onwards to Nazi Germany here we come. Zeig Heil and all that bolloks

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        The BBC link says that he "can" be sterilised, not that he must be.

Does the BBC mean "must"?

If so then I agree with Troll - onwards to Nazi Germany here we come. Zeig Heil and all that bolloks
        Well it's the right decision. SimonMac can hardly look after himself yet alone being allowed to have more kids.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The question for me is at what point can the court "order" a sterilisation

Comment

If states benefits were only offered after state funded sterilisation it would save a fortune
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Even if sterilised, he could still buy children at some Council estate in West Bromwich or Cannock. Many teenage mums would gladly swap them for a One Direction cd.

Ok, I am kidding. Nobody buys cd's anymore.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

He lacks the legal capacity to consent. If he were a child his parents could give consent as they are in favour. But he is not a child so the courts examine his best interest and have given consent on his behalf.

Comment

I may have misread this, but I understood the story to mean that his disability meant he couldn't give informed consent for the operation? So the judge did. Or am I spoiling a perfectly good outrage thread?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

IMO everyone should be sterilized until they prove they are capable of looking after children. Prefrably stopped from having sex altogher so there is some sort of reward for having kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X