• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Gas Homecare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Gas Homecare

Anyone taken it up? If so Pros and Cons please.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

No.

Pros - If something goes wrong, they fix it allegedly.

Cons - It costs you money whether something goes wrong or not.

Where the difficulty MF?

Right, with an attitude like that, step outside the forum now.

Comment

Dim. I would never fight anyone who smells a little fishy.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Con: Carbon monoxide poisoning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/5202976.stm
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Great advert for a great company.

Comment

Death while asleep is probably the best possible one.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              Anyone taken it up? If so Pros and Cons please.
              I took it up and then cancelled it after a year and a bit. Why? The annual inspection was just a guy coming in and having a look at the boiler and then leaving after a minute.

And everytime we had any problems associated with the heating system, everything lead to a PowerFlush being required, which, of course, was not covered. At £600 it was a bit steep so I did it myself.

And we had some flooding outside. Apparantly, sump aways are not covered either.

If you're one of these people that buys extended guarantees for "piece of mind" then get one - it helps to keep the cost of the service down.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I've got the Npower version (even though i'm not with them) and took it out after I had problems with my boiler. They don't come around to inspect but there is a 14 day delay before cover starts. Since it was an intermittent fault I could handle that!

Seems good so far as I have had some new parts fitted and two visits.

Comment

I rented that house for 3 years. Boiler failed twice and shower had to have electric heater replaced completely. I did not have insurance of any kind, however since its the landlords responsibility they paid for professionals to do the job quickly without me having to pay a dime in anything apart from very reasonable rent.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW [b
                    landlords responsibility[/b]
                    It depends on the sort of tenancy. It is theoretically possible that the landlord could insist on maintenance from the tenants.

However under an ast it is the landlords responsibility to provide heating so it would be pointless to try and pass the maintenance on to the tenant. The same is not true of the shower though.

I agree that in practice it would be very unusual to find the responsibility shifted to the tenant though.

Comment

Working...
                    X